Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I often wonder about these type of grocery services. Do they shop like I do? Do they scrounge through and end up reaching way in the back to find the best date in refrigerated items? Will they pick the best fruit or vegetable on my list? Will they buy the item on sale that is next to the regular priced item? Sure it may be a convenience for some but grocery shopping for me is a highly acquired skill that I won't trust a stranger doing for me. 

The local Walmarts offer this service and one day I spoke with the young lady who was filling the orders.  Asked her many of the same questions.  She said she shops for the customer like she would shop for herself.  Not sure they all have the same level of commitment, however she seemed very competent.  They are given a very specific list (exact brands and sizes).  The customer must tell them if they allow for substitutions, if not, the item is not included in the order.  Customer always has the option of reviewing the order when they pick it up and can refuse any item that they do not want.  I have used the service a couple times, mostly for staples and it is great. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

I've used it 3 times so far and have been very pleased.  It's a huge time saver for me.  It seems our Walmart is always being "reorganized" and finding things is a challenge.  Problem sovled.  I love that I can place my order in the morning and pick up my groceries when I get out of work.  So instead of an hour or more, schleping things around the store, car is loaded and I'm home in 20 minutes!  I was surpised that our store offered it, as we're fairly rural, but I'm pleased that they did, and I hope it continues.  The staff is very pleasant and helpful, answering questions and explaining it all.

I've "tested" the service, ordering deli meats and cheeses, produce, dairy, all things I want to make sure are as fresh as possible, and I've been pleased with it all.  

Only drawback, I don't get all those steps in my day from the walking.  Oh well, gives me more time to talk a nice walk outdoors later Woman Very Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

A midwest grocery chain (Hy-Vee) offers online grocery shopping with a choice of pick up at a store or delivery.  

Until last winter, each store received and shopped their own orders.  I was one of the shoppers and it was somewhat enjoyable.  But there was a lot of stress since pick up times could include 20 or 1 person.  If a lot wanted to pick up their groceries at the same time, it was difficult to get them all shopped on time.   

Since winter, we have one central distribution center doing all the shopping.   They deliver orders that customers want to pick up to the store chosen by the customer.  They deliver those that want home delivery.  

@CalminHeart   Hyvee is where I get my groceries. I have an over $200 order in now that my husband is picking up pretty soon on his way home. I saw last night when I was working on my order that they'll now accept coupons online. This is the next step I was looking for!

Valued Contributor

You can order other things other than groceries with your order to go~

At least in Bham, Al. we can.

Valued Contributor

You really need this it sounds like.  You could still ride her in the car to pick up so she would be out looking at something different in the car.

Honored Contributor

I shop at Publix and they use Instacart. I haven't tried it yet. 

For normal circumstances shopping, I'd just prefer to go myself. By the time I set up the account, log in, find all the stuff, mark them on the list, and then pay service charge and tip, I can go, shop, get back home and have them unpacked. And, we stopped at the store today for just a few things. My husband wanted a single slice of cake from the bakery. So we looked at the choices and he picked one out. Don't know how you'd know the in stock bakery choices and things like that. And I also wanted a few salad cucumbers. I had to look through all of them to find two that would work for today. 

BUT....if I were ill or had surgery or for some other reason was home bound, I'd certainly use it. I think it's a great service and I'm glad that it's available. 

Back in the 70's and early 80's my grandmother always had her groceries delivered and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Small town in Connecticut.  Small market and she basically ordered the same things each week. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

This sounds interesting. I've bought nonperishable food through the regular online Walmart, but can't now because that site crashes my computer. 

Besides, I hadn't been happy with my last couple of orders from WM because they forced me to do pickups on selected items when I wanted everything delivered, and started plastering big sticky labels printed with my name and other data on every item. Sometimes the label obscured package instructions, sometimes they pulled off information when I peeled them off. After that, I decided to shop places that didn't vandalize my purchases.

I fear they'd do something horrible to my food as well, and I'm definitely not impressed by the quality or freshness of their produce or meats anyway. We have a Super Walmart so we have a wide but shallow selection of goods, but the quality hasn't improved since it opened several years ago.

My regular supermarket also offers pickup service, but since I'd deprive myself of the spot markdowns, I've never done it. No way any clerk would pick the four-pound flats of organic chicken wings marked down to $2.25 for me; I'd get the ones priced at $14. Same with other meats and deli items. The specials that show in the store circular aren't reflected in many of the online prices, so I wouldn't enjoy those 30% to 50% savings that I usually get when I food shop.

Besides, I like the contact with the clerks and sometimes run into someone I haven't seen in years, and that's just not possible by ordering online and having someone bring it out to my car. Maybe someday!

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I use the service at Kroger's once or twice a month for frozen foods, cases of water, paper goods & the like. I don't use it to buy fruits & veggies, I like to pick those myself. I am pleased with the service & really appreciate it in winter. Hope your first time went well.

I watch the store shoppers in our Shoprite picking the produce and I'm impressed at how picky they are when going through it, as if they were buying it for themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

Our area has SHIPT.  It is $49 for 6 months or $14 a month.  Well worth it.

The shoppers text you while shopping with any questions.  One even took a photo of 2 pkgs of celery and asked which one I wanted.  They are very efficient, friendly and they put the groceries on my kitchen table.

After my surgery, they were a life saver for me. 

I like going to Publix to shop, but pushing a cart and walking the big store is still too much for me.  I will go and pick up a couple of items if I need it, or just need to get out!  Love SHIPT!

Respected Contributor

I've use a large, local grocery chain's service – both for home delivery and parking lot pickup of groceries for my aging parents -- for years now.  I didn't know that Walmart offered it, but it's nice to know.