Honored Contributor

Re: Wall plates, etc.

[ Edited ]

Plates?   I don't think they are the least bit decorative ....  but I think Franklin Mint had  people totally bamboozled into thinking that their items would be worth several times the price years from now.    Yes, there's a sentimental value if you got it from an elderly relative, but they aren't really art work any more than "Dogs Playing Poker" on velvet.   JMO folks.

Honored Contributor

My "ikebana" piece is very artful and it's beautiful to look at. It's one of my most treasured belongings.Woman Happy @Tinkrbl44

Super Contributor

I have a collection of six (three on each side of my massive hutch) that are blue and white.

Over the years I have a beautiful collection of yellow and blue smaller plates and gifts I have received from a dear friend who has excellent taste in decor.

Everyone says they love coming to my home and sit in my diningroom.  It is very homey!

Esteemed Contributor

I have two fruit plates from the 1950's hanging in my kitchen.  They were my mom''s and I remember them from my childhood.  I do have some fruit decor in the kitchen, but I have them up for purely sentimental reasons.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, I have one that was passed down to me from my Japanese mother. The piece is a very shallow thrown stoneware bowl used for ancient, traditional flower arrangements (ikebana). It's so shallow that it looks like a plate and I have it placed on a wall. It's hundreds of years old.

@SilleeMee  I'm sure that bowl means a lot to you. What a treasure!!