Valued Contributor
On 11/4/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 11/4/2014 JobGirl said:
On 11/4/2014 Caravaggio said:

Nobody seems to ever mention the tons of people who have worked 10 or 15 years and are only making 20. an hr or less and they are skilled workers. Is it fair to them ? That someone who has no skill should be making 15.00 off the bat? These are usually office workers who are not making big bucks. But fulfill an important job skill and can not ask for raises. And have no voice like those who it seems have no skill and can demand high wages. JMO.

Most minimum wage jobs were not meant to raise a family on-they are meant to be entry level stepping stone jobs-as you move on in life you acquire new skills and be paid accordingly-

But this is not how life works these days.

We have to live in the real world.

I do but flipping burgers regardless of why is not meant to pay $15 or raise a family on-it doesn't require any skill the job doesn't warrant the pay regardless if the recipient is 19 or 55- that is the real world -

just because the economy is bad doesn't mean you take min wage jobs and make them the same pay level as entry level corporate jobs-it doesn't work that way

how do you justify paying an unskilled worker the same as a skilled worker? base it on the # of people they have to support ? or what bills they have to pay? where does that happen?

Regular Contributor
On 11/4/2014 Snik said:

Nobody seems to ever mention the tons of people who have worked 10 or 15 years and are only making 20. an hr or less and they are skilled workers. Is it fair to them ? That someone who has no skill should be making 15.00 off the bat? These are usually office workers who are not making big bucks. But fulfill an important job skill and can not ask for raises. And have no voice like those who it seems have no skill and can demand high wages. JMO.

Who cannot ask for raises? Certainly being an integral part of the team and being skilled, should give you SOME bargaining power? If you are qualified and skilled with good work history, and cannot get a raise, why not try another employer????

Not in a lot of big corporate offices. Raises are handed out once a year (If there is not a freeze) this myth that oh just go in and ask for a raise is just that a myth.

And you made my point. Office workers are told oh just go to another employer. As if the economy has tons of jobs Why not tell hamburger flippers to go and look for another job that actually will require skill instead of a staying at a mim wage job.?

Well I think once a year, as you describe, is sufficient for raises.. How many raises would one like in a year? I do not get a raise EVER..I work on commission, so I literally have to work HARDER to make more.. True I earn a very good living, but if I really want more$$$$ per sale,I have to look for an employer who will pay me a higher % of the gross. So I Do understand.... And I also agree that there are many, many people who are grossly underpaid, for whatever reason...
Respected Contributor
On 11/4/2014 Snik said:
On 11/4/2014 Snik said:

Who cannot ask for raises? Certainly being an integral part of the team and being skilled, should give you SOME bargaining power? If you are qualified and skilled with good work history, and cannot get a raise, why not try another employer????

Not in a lot of big corporate offices. Raises are handed out once a year (If there is not a freeze) this myth that oh just go in and ask for a raise is just that a myth.

And you made my point. Office workers are told oh just go to another employer. As if the economy has tons of jobs Why not tell hamburger flippers to go and look for another job that actually will require skill instead of a staying at a mim wage job.?

Well I think once a year, as you describe, is sufficient for raises.. How many raises would one like in a year? I do not get a raise EVER..I work on commission, so I literally have to work HARDER to make more.. True I earn a very good living, but if I really want more$$$$ per sale,I have to look for an employer who will pay me a higher % of the gross. So I Do understand.... And I also agree that there are many, many people who are grossly underpaid, for whatever reason...

Good points Snik.

Frequent Contributor

It's amusing that with the cost of living in this country that some believe that $7-$8/hr is a living wage. Major corporations literally get rich off the backs of their underpaid employees.

Respected Contributor
On 11/4/2014 loverly said:

It's amusing that with the cost of living in this country that some believe that $7-$8/hr is a living wage. Major corporations literally get rich off the backs of their underpaid employees.

Plus...let's not forget that most of these $7-8/hr jobs are only part time and offer no benefits.

Honored Contributor

European countries pay living wages, even to workers who flip burgers at their McDonalds.

They also have healthcare for all and many places have FREE college too, for those who score high enough on the admissions exam.

It can be done.

People here just don't seem to have the will anymore to stand up as a group and demand better treatment. The economy is doing just fine. Stocks have never been higher. Someone is making all that money. Workers deserve a fair share of their businesses' success.

Respected Contributor
On 11/4/2014 terrier3 said:

European countries pay living wages, even to workers who flip burgers at their McDonalds.

They also have healthcare for all and many places have FREE college too, for those who score high enough on the admissions exam.

It can be done.

People here just don't seem to have the will anymore to stand up as a group and demand better treatment. The economy is doing just fine. Stocks have never been higher. Someone is making all that money. Workers deserve a fair share of their businesses' success.

Europeans pay higher taxes. The countries are similar in size to our states. Before the EU there was a vast difference in living conditions from country to country. The EU changed that. Residents of poorer countries, in general, live better but in the wealthier countries the life style is not what it once was.

Honored Contributor
On 11/4/2014 muttmom said:

Europeans pay higher taxes. The countries are similar in size to our states. Before the EU there was a vast difference in living conditions from country to country. The EU changed that. Residents of poorer countries, in general, live better but in the wealthier countries the life style is not what it once was.

If European countries can have their workers receive a living wage, free education and healthcare....we can do it - only bigger & better.

The lifestyle in Europe may not be what it once was...but the same can also be said here. The difference is that European countries share a larger portion of corporate profits with their workers - Germany is a great example.

A German worker at McDonalds doesn't get handed apps for food stamps and medicaid to go along with their new job. They make enough money to live on decently, with some left over too!

Trusted Contributor
On 11/4/2014 straykatz said:

I think it is appalling that people are expected to work for less than the minimum wage in this country.

Yes, ITA. Especially as a caregiver to elderly which can be very physically demanding and emotionally taxing.

As Judith said, these are our cherished older family members. You would think it would occur to people to pay at least the minimum wage to help with them.

It's like how teachers and public service workers(police, etc...) are paid so little compared to other professions.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/4/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 11/4/2014 JobGirl said:

Most minimum wage jobs were not meant to raise a family on-they are meant to be entry level stepping stone jobs-as you move on in life you acquire new skills and be paid accordingly-

But this is not how life works these days.

We have to live in the real world.

Why do you choose to accept that!!!! What purpose dose it serve to drag everyone down. Why try improve yourself if I can get what I need at Micky D.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.