Honored Contributor

Re: WHY DO WE WOMen ALWAYS SAY “i’m Sorry”????

My mother told me that it's better to do as you wish and apologize after than to ask permission before. I thought it good advise so that's what I do. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The version I have heard is it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.  Neither makes sense to me, nor has it ever been appreciated by me.

My mother never apologized for anything in her entire life.  When my husband apologizes he really never is.  When I call him on it he says "well sooooorrrrreeeee."  Like a 3 year old.

My old job told me I didn't say sorry enough and my new job tells me I say it too much. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is nothing more freeing than just being yourself.  When you get in touch with your deepest self, and can examine your motives and attitudes with truth, you won't feel it your job to make others happy.  Feeling sorry when you have nothing to feel sorry for is self degrading, imo.  Saying your sorry for something you might say and getting it out of the way sounds manipulative to me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am around woman regularly and I seldom hear "I'm Sorry".  For some of both genders, it is just "words", which to me mean no more than the "have a good day", phrase.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This topic reminds me of Pat James Dementri who some days seems to apologize incessantly and unnecessarily.  It starts to wear on your nerves after so many instances.  She's better than she used to be; otherwise a lovely lady.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My dearest friend who passed away from breast cancer in 2011 had that habit of saying "I'm sorry" to everyone and for anything.  I sat her down one day and we had a long talk about that and she slowly but surely got rid of the habit.  After that, she said "I'm sorry" when appropriate instead of almost for everything and anything.  I miss her so much.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I found myself using that phrase all the time.  For whatever reason it dawned on me one day that I was sorry for everything and was the sorriest person I knew.

Now, Im not sorry for anything.  Unless of course I goof up.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

A variation of saying, "I'm sorry" is that of when I hear someone say - "I'm sorry, but that is stinkin' cute".  Contradictory and why apologize?  Makes no sense whatsoever.  Hear this quite a bit on the Q.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I rarely say it,cause mostly I'm not.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Sorry seems to be an easy word to speak.  I've used it sarcastically and I've used to to signal that I sympathize with someone.  Regarding the last use, if my sibling tells me she's had a rotten day at work I may say, ahh, I'm sorry it was a rough one for you.  Saying sorry seems more friendly in that instance than uttering "that's too bad" which can come across as snotty or condescending. 

When I apologize I actually say that word apologize or please accept my apology.

Over the years I've incorporated 'pardon me' and 'excuse me' in those instances when there is a shopper stalled in the middle of an aisle with their cart.  If I can't get around to the left or right I'll say, excuse me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise