Respected Contributor

Re: WHY DO WE WOMen ALWAYS SAY “i’m Sorry”????

My favorite tapestry says, "I felt guilty once.  I got over it."

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Really raining hard here.....I’m sorry . 😐 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

My Dad used say he thought he was wrong once, but he was mistaken.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

I wonder why women always seem to say, i’m Sorry for many things that do not require it.

Men do not use the term very frequently.

i have decided to only use it if I have offered someone...not to ask to have a grocery cart moved out of the way, or if something I cooked did not turn out or if I make a mistake.

what do you think???

@sydsgma1

What do I think?  I think any woman who is constantly apologizing should stop it immediately.  I've known a few women who do that.  Me, not so much.   I really have no idea why they do that.

Valued Contributor

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.  I took a defective TV box back to Spectrum Cable along w/the 2 cables and remote. My BF told me I should never take the cables or remote in w/the box. I said "I'm sorry" - and then I thought why was I sorry about something I didn't know about. 

Maybe the next time I respond to something similar I may say "That wasn't communicated to me" instead of "sorry" -  we talked about my taking this equipment back several times before I actually did it. 

Respected Contributor

Age changes everyone in some way.  As I've added the years I have stopped saying things like "I'm sorry" when I'm not sorry.  I also learned how to say NO!   Yes, there are benefits  that come with age! 

Super Contributor

There is no easy answer to this question.   I think it is because our country was founded as a patriarchal society.   Women where taught to be nice, not to make any waves, to be people pleasers.  So when we go against this we say I am sorry.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey  I would have handed him sunglasses or sunnies as the trendy say.

I say excuse me to aisle blockers. Sorry is what one says after doing as they wish knowing it's not what the other wishes. Too much is being made of saying sorry, it's akin to have a nice day, polite and meaningless.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Most women are taught and socialized to apologize  more than most men are. It's definitely an individual thing as well, but the realities still exist.

I'm tired of apologizing for my feelings, and other things that I shouldn't apologize for. The males in my family never apologize for anything. I grew up with that and it's still that way. Very unhealthy, to say the least. It's constant work to manage that and break free from it.

@Greeneyedlady21

Socialized?  I disagree with that.  Why would anyone teach a little girl to apologize for something that didn't require an apology?

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

My Dad used say he thought he was wrong once, but he was mistaken.  LOL 

@Mary Bailey

Funny!

Reminded me of the book, "I Could be Wrong, But I Doubt It" by Charles Barkley.