Super Contributor

Re: WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE TO SLEEP?

I absolutely love a good night's sleep. Naps are heaven, too, but I can't nap too often or I won't be able to get to sleep at night. I live in the country and it is very quiet and peaceful at night. The only sound is the yipping & howling of the coyotes  - they sing me to sleep! LOL!Woman Very HappyWoman Very Happy 

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

No one mentioned noise. I need quiet to fall asleep. It is 2 now and I had to get up for sometimes I hear noise and can't fall back. I am up because of it. I have white noise machine going but now it isn't drowning the noise out. These last few months have been terrible. Looking over at my cat on the bed she is looking so peaceful. Nothing to buy either. Had some yogurt so maybe soon to dreamland.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

After many many years of having to be ON CALL at my job and having to sleep in an on call room in the ICU - I can definitely sleep anywhere , anytime. No amount of noise bothers me. No amount of light bothers me. If I close my eyes and put my head down - I'm asleep. 

I rarely nap during the day because I sleep well at night.

When I was working and had to wake to an alarm clock I had to place it all the way across the room or I'd turn it off and go back to sleep.

Oh, I am so envious of you.  I would love to be able to lay my head down and fall asleep the way you do..  Chronic pain keeps me awake a good part of the night so I am sleepy in the afternoon and have to take a nap, which as I said on another post, interferes with going to sleep at night.. Woman Frustrated

IMO the secret is to keep active during the day.Make yourself tired by using your energy up.I don't spend much time sitting around during the day, and by the time I've finished cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, I'm tired and ready for bed.

Honored Contributor

I love to sleep.  You always feel so good after a great night's sleep, or a great nap! I for one, can't nap during the day, never could, but sometimes just o lay down and relax with your eyes closed for 15 minutes is refreshing!

I like to Dream too! They are always so interesting......

Honored Contributor

At 62, I have to be sick to sleep during the day.  However, my husband sleeps better in his recliner during the day than he does in bed at night.   

When I go to bed at night, my body is ready to shut down, and rest.   My bedroom is where I sleep; I keep it dark, cool, and have no alarm clock, radio, or TV in the room.   The only sliver of light in the room comes from my husbands C-pap machine.   I get in bed, flip over on my stomach, and am out like a light.   

Honored Contributor

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Trusted Contributor

I've been battling hypothyroidism for years.  Had a total thyroidectomy last May, which further complicated the situation.  When my body craves sleep, I listen.  I have some days when 7 hours of sleep will get me through the day.  And, I have some days when 12 hours, including nighttime and naps, is not enough.

I find it cozy to curl up under a blanket and sleep in my favorite recliner, on a dreary day.  And, sometimes, I think I just enjoy the brief escape from the world for a little while.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

Have you ever tried going without sleep for an exended period? I don't know if I specifically "like" to sleep but I sure do know I need to do it.

Super Contributor

I take a nap  when I'm not feeling well and/or don't sleep well at night. But it's a vicious cycle b/c if I nap for too long I won't be able to fall asleep at night.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reading the comments about waking refreshed after a nap or night’s sleep makes me kind of sad. Eight years after chemo and radiation, I am here and grateful, but have never again felt refreshed after sleeping. I miss that so much!