Honored Contributor

Re: WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE TO SLEEP?

If I take any kind of pain pills before I go to bed I have disturbing dreams.

Weird, out of this world dreams. Just from over the counter aches and pains  pills.  Makes me mad. LOL   Have to take them first thing in morning , so, they're out of your system by the time you go to bed

smileypinktulipsspring.gif

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

After many many years of having to be ON CALL at my job and having to sleep in an on call room in the ICU - I can definitely sleep anywhere , anytime. No amount of noise bothers me. No amount of light bothers me. If I close my eyes and put my head down - I'm asleep. 

I rarely nap during the day because I sleep well at night.

When I was working and had to wake to an alarm clock I had to place it all the way across the room or I'd turn it off and go back to sleep.

Oh, I am so envious of you.  I would love to be able to lay my head down and fall asleep the way you do..  Chronic pain keeps me awake a good part of the night so I am sleepy in the afternoon and have to take a nap, which as I said on another post, interferes with going to sleep at night.. Woman Frustrated

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

For me I love my bed/matress, my bedroom (so dark & quiet), my pillows, sheets, blankets & my two girls (kittys) & it is oh so cozy. I also have a little help to get to sleep and stay asleep until I need to get up for work. 

I know if I stay up all night or don't get enough sleep, I feel quite stabby the next day and unproductive. 

Trusted Contributor

@catlover,

My first reaction to your question was, WHY NOT?

In my case I rather sleep than eat. I listen to body and when you sleep your whole immune system regenerates.

Sleep deprivation is very unhealthy particularly among teenagers who tend to be owls🌻a nice siesta, just 15 minutes is not going to harm you on the contrary because I am well rested when I am awake  so is my brain

Trusted Contributor

@catlover  after many years of having difficulty sleeping, going t sleep and staying asleep due to working odd hours, rotating 12 hour shifts etc, it is comforting to be  now be able to get erstful sleep.   A lot of times during those years I was only getting 3 to 4 hours of sleep. Now that I am not working, I still have periods of time I have insomnia, the difference is I am not working so it is ok.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@catlover  after many years of having difficulty sleeping, going t sleep and staying asleep due to working odd hours, rotating 12 hour shifts etc, it is comforting to be  now be able to get erstful sleep.   A lot of times during those years I was only getting 3 to 4 hours of sleep. Now that I am not working, I still have periods of time I have insomnia, the difference is I am not working so it is ok.

Sounds like your a nurse. OMG - rotating shifts, and working 12 hours plus call is certainly murder on your body.And I agree - you rarely get RESTFUL sleep.

Super Contributor

I LOVE to sleep.  I've struggled my enitre life with insomnia and it's taken me years to get to the point I'm currently at, which is finally having a good sleep cycle.  I still have nights that are "duds", but no where near as often as I used to. 

For me, sleep is self-care.  I look forward to my evening routine, getting ready for bed, reading a book, then popping a melatonin and drifting off to dream land.  The melatonin is a new addition and has been a game changer, I'm so glad I tried it again.

@shoechic, I could have written your post!  All those things are the same in my house!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

I enjoy sleeping because of pure relaxation. There are some nights sleep comes hard, so when I do have a good night it is pure wonderful.  When I take an afternoon nap which I will say is 50-50% of the time, it is pure comfortable, delightful.

Honored Contributor

I just thought of something. I worked for a couple as a nanny before I went into nursing school which is many, super many years ago. The husband of the household told a story that his roommate in college would purposely set his alarm clock for 3AM so he could wake up and fall back to sleep, why this young man did this is because he didn’t have to worry about getting up to go anywhere at 3am.

Respected Contributor

I like sleeping because it's the only time I don't hurt....