Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT'S UP FOR ST. PATRICK'S DAY?

@Preds wrote:

💚💚💚

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@Noel7

Hope you have a happy St. Pat's!  "May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live."  Smiley Happy

Nothing going on around my neck of the woods for St. Patrick's Day.  It's not really a big thing here..a few restaurants and pubs use it for promotion, but otherwise that's it.

If you knew my name, you'd say with that name, you should be celebrating St. Pat's!  The paternal side of my family are all Irish, but I grew up with the maternal side..which are all Italian, straight off the boat.  So, I identify with that side of my heritage, although I love my name, which is all Irish.  Smiley Happy  Go figure.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@Noel7

Hope you have a happy St. Pat's!  "May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live."  Smiley Happy

Nothing going on around my neck of the woods for St. Patrick's Day.  It's not really a big thing here..a few restaurants and pubs use it for promotion, but otherwise that's it.

If you knew my name, you'd say with that name, you should be celebrating St. Pat's!  The paternal side of my family are all Irish, but I grew up with the maternal side..which are all Italian, straight off the boat.  So, I identify with that side of my heritage, although I love my name, which is all Irish.  Smiley Happy  Go figure.

@Marienkaefer2

Hi MK!

Thank you so much for the good wishes!  Irish-Italian is a pretty classic mix in the US, and least in this area.  Also worked for two of our best friends. 

My mother's side is Irish, my father's is Welsh.  A Celtic two-fer, although there is new info out saying the Irish predated the Celts.  The Welsh did, also, but I digress.

I hope you've had a good day, MK, I'm looking forward to an Irish coffee

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@Noel7

@Marienkaefer2

Hi MK!

Thank you so much for the good wishes!  Irish-Italian is a pretty classic mix in the US, and least in this area.  Also worked for two of our best friends. 

My mother's side is Irish, my father's is Welsh.  A Celtic two-fer, although there is new info out saying the Irish predated the Celts.  The Welsh did, also, but I digress.

I hope you've had a good day, MK, I'm looking forward to an Irish coffee

@NOel 7,

Yes, I agree, a classic mix. 

Well, if we were closer to each other, I'd invite myself over for a coffee!  Enjoy!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

The Buena Vista Cafe in SF is credited with bringing the Irish Coffee to America.  They are famous for their recipe.  Delicious!

http://www.thebuenavista.com/home/irishcoffee.html

Fill glass with very hot water to pre-heat, then empty.

Pour hot coffee into hot glass until it is about three-quarters full. Drop in two cocktail sugar cubes.

Stir until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved.

Add full jigger of Irish Whiskey for proper taste and body.

Top with a collar of
lightly whipped whipping cream by pouring gently over a spoon.

Enjoy it while piping hot.

The man who started it all.Stanton Delaplane at the Buena Vista in 1975.

Bar Tender Larry Nolan on the production line.
The Buena Vista serves up to 2,000 Irish Coffees a day.

11/10/2008 The Buena Vista goes For the Guinness Worlds Record for the Worlds Largest Irish Coffee.
World Record
Slide Show and Links to World Record Press

Copyright © The Buena Vista Cafe. All rights reserved.

Honored Contributor

On my first ever trip to SF, my college friend, who had moved to the peninsula, took me to the Buena Vista Cafe, and we had Irish Coffees! Nice memories.  We went to school together in Boston, where St Patrick's Day was a big deal. 

Respected Contributor

Nothing special here.  Not being Irish nor Catholic, it's just another day for me.  But a happy day to those who DO celebrate.   

Speaking of that, what is celebrated on St. Patrick's day anyway?  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

On my first ever trip to SF, my college friend, who had moved to the peninsula, took me to the Buena Vista Cafe, and we had Irish Coffees! Nice memories.  We went to school together in Boston, where St Patrick's Day was a big deal. 

@september

Hi september, I'm glad you weighed in on this subject Smiley Happy

The Buena Vista is a real city treasure, kind of like Grand Central Station in that, at some point, almost everyone goes there. 

Hope you're having a nice St. Patrick's Day!

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Nothing special here.  Not being Irish nor Catholic, it's just another day for me.  But a happy day to those who DO celebrate.   

Speaking of that, what is celebrated on St. Patrick's day anyway?  

@Bridgegal

I wish you a good day, anyway, Irish or not Smiley Happy

St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of the Irish, credited for bringing Christianity to Ireland.

However, he wasn't Irish to begin with.  The history is that he originated in a section of the UK that was, at that time, Welsh and Welsh speaking.  And if I recall, it was also bordering on a Scottish enclave.  Some say he was kidnapped from his homeland to work as more or less a slave.

Oh, and there is that story about St. Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland.

Honored Contributor