Honored Contributor

WHAT DID ANNE BOLEYN REALLY LOOK LIKE?

Recently discovered Claire Ridgway's "Anne Boleyn Files and Tudor Society".   There are certain figures in English history who fascinate, and I've always found Anne Boleyn to be one of them.  She was for a long time depicted just one way, but her real personality is elusive.

I've always loved the portraits of her that show her trademark "B" for Boleyn necklace.  That has to be one of the most famous jewels of her century!   And enjoyed descriptions of her, including her challenging black eyes, etc.  Here in a short video, Claire Ridgway compares the various likenesses of her, including a medal, portraits and a tiny miniature, and verbal descriptions, to get at the truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfTI2ffP9j8

Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT DID ANNE BOLEYN REALLY LOOK LIKE?

Interesting.  If the coin image of Ann is the true likeness, all I can say is that AB had the kind of sex appeal that should have been bottled.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I did a brass rubbing of Thomas Boleyn. I don't known how much the brass rubbing is the likeness of him. The face looks pretty generic but the rest of the brass rubbing is quite ornate.  But that is as close as I get to what Anne Boleyn looked like.

Thomas Boleyn was quite tall. So I am wondering if she was too.Since she was buried in an unmarked grave there is no brass rubbing for her.

The You Tube was interesting. I thought the portraits of Anne Boleyn were similar. I also spent an hour learning about King Edward VII.

Honored Contributor

That is so interesting that you did a rubbing of Thomas Boleyn, @drizzellla.  Another member of the family people seem to want to know about is Mary Boleyn, Anne's sister.  Didn't she have a relationship with Henry VIII, before Anne?  That would be a dicey family situation.... 

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @Mz iMac-- I'm hoping for her sake, that the "Hever Castle portrait",  the one where she's holding the rose, is a more accurate likeness!

Honored Contributor

YES! YES! YES! 

And Anne did not want to be like her sister. Anne was not going to be Henry VIII's mistress. So Henry had to find a way to marry Anne. What a mess. 

And Thomas Boleyn also seems to have "been in favor and well received" with Henry because of his two daughter's favored status.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why did these women marry him? Most were killed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest

AB was Henry's 2nd wify.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Henry was a bad  king, these women knew that ,and still married him.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@goldensrbest

AB was Henry's 2nd wify.

He had her head cut off.