Respected Contributor

Re: Visiting Denver For The First Time and Well....Shocked!

I live in the Denver metro area.  It's amazing to me that the biggest group of folks indulging, are retired.  Some are reliving their youth and some use it for pain and to help them sleep.  My biggest complaint is the amount of young, violent, and homeless folks it has brought in.  It's dangerous to go downtown to the restaurants and theatre district.  There have been many, many, many beatings, stabbings, and shootings.  The homeless camp on the sidewalk in front of legitimate business's.  They won't let customers in unless the business brings them food and lets them use their bathroom.  Of course if they don't want to go that far they just use the sidewalk.  Not a good place to be anymore.  We are starting to see CBD only stores.  Glad to have an alternative for people so they get the same benefits without having to get high.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all that's going on in the world, i don't think pot is that big a deal. (never tried it myself) I consider alcohol to be a much more serious problem, and that's sold and consummed all over. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I frankly wasn't clear on what this thread was about... It seemed to veer in so many directions: recreational pot use, medicinal pot use, the plight of the homeless, the state of the city of Denver, the cost of parking and on and on and on... If the focus is on the use of pot, for whatever reason, my perspective is that it should be an individual choice. It can be taxed and regulated, but no one should decide for anyone else what they choose to do or not choose to do.

@stevieb So are we to just do away with laws?  I believe we should have laws that are enforced, which lately seems to be not the case many times. 

@Sooner  Well, certainly not all laws, but yes, those that pertain to this, which don't make sense, have never made sense, can't be enforced and on which millions are spent trying to enforce and adjudicate when clearly, as during prohibition, people are going to find a way to get what they want. By continuing to foster the 'reefer madness' mentality, all jurisdictions are doing is losing out on a tremendous source of potential revenue and fostering the criminal element involved with the supply chain. The demand isn't going away.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I frankly wasn't clear on what this thread was about... It seemed to veer in so many directions: recreational pot use, medicinal pot use, the plight of the homeless, the state of the city of Denver, the cost of parking and on and on and on... If the focus is on the use of pot, for whatever reason, my perspective is that it should be an individual choice. It can be taxed and regulated, but no one should decide for anyone else what they choose to do or not choose to do.

@stevieb So are we to just do away with laws?  I believe we should have laws that are enforced, which lately seems to be not the case many times. 

@Sooner  Well, certainly not all laws, but yes, those that pertain to this, which don't make sense, have never made sense, can't be enforced and on which millions are spent trying to enforce and adjudicate when clearly, as during prohibition, people are going to find a way to get what they want. By continuing to foster the 'reefer madness' mentality, all jurisdictions are doing is losing out on a tremendous source of potential revenue and fostering the criminal element involved with the supply chain. The demand isn't going away.

@stevieb  I see your point, but I think like alcohol this will increase things like public stoned people that have to be picked up and traffic accidents related to the use and distraction.

Cops will be dealing with DUI's and such rather than busting people for selling.  I think in the long run it will engender more problems than the taxes we will collect.

Medical I can see, but what's resulting is simply wide open anybody can get anything any time.  It will just add fuel to the fire of distracted drivers and people on the streets. Like campus areas on the weekends. . . and the problems associated. 

Valued Contributor

I've lived in Denver since 1987 and I'm one of those who isn't happy about the legalization.  I don't have any issues with use for medical reasons but I have seen so many changes - due to the large number of homeless living on the streets and in city parks  (they come here for the pot and have no where to live),  the issues related to consumables and children/teens.  The pot they sell now is way more potent than what we used in the 60's.   I wish the city had done more planning before the opened the market up for everyone.  I won't even go downtown anymore given all the change.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

It's now legal here in MI, too although communities including mine can opt out of, uh...shops and stores selling it. It's also illegal in my community to grow it.

It's well taxed here so that was the push to get it legalized.

I don't indulge, never have. I wonder what the future holds when you drop your kids off at daycare and the employees take a smoke break? Or your nurse, doctor, hospital or nursing home staff go on their smoke breaks?

Paying to park at hotels near "shops" is likely to deter people from running in, stocking up then running to the car to light up.

———-        

I live in Washington State, where Marijuana has been  legal for a number of years.  I was in favor of legalization and still am. 

When you drop your kids off at daycare, do the staff utilize their breaks to have a couple of belts of booze?  Is that a common practice among members of your medical community? 

Why in the world would you think that might become an issue, if pot is legal? 

Booze is legal, if you’re over 21.  But, it certainly, is not acceptable, at any job I know of, to be chemically impaired! Booze, pot, any other drug, if you’re caught using them in a work setting, depending on your companies policies, you’d be facing anything from immediate termination, to various disciplinary steps, established by your employer.  

To think that employees start showing up high on pot, or using it, at work, because it’s legal, is, in my experience, beyond ridiculous!

Could/does it, occasionally happen?  Have employers been known to show up at work 

Esteemed Contributor

I think legalized MJ is a lot of to do about nothing.  DH had a medical card in AZ where we live..  Additionally, we frequently travel to CA and NV where it is legal for all.  In my observations, most patients are either Senior Citizens, or patients of PTSD, RA or cancer.  95% are well behaved and don't seem high when they are buying. It is illegal to have MJ in the passenger part of your car (most in the know put it in their trunk to transport).  My brother in law asked if my husband drives high ( no, just as I don't drive if I have had even one drink).  There are a lot of Nervous Nellies out there and MJ is becoming legal in many states , so Colorado's problems will level out and municipalities will legislate enforcement where necessary.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Yes, this thread is veering all over the place.  

Threads like this seem to bring out the urge in some posters, to just complain about anything at all.

My son has lived in Denver for about five years, and really likes it there.  I’ve visited often and like it as well.  As with most big cities, there will be some problems, but most of us look for the positive points of living anywhere. 

At least we now have a thread on this board that doesn’t incite posters to bash California!   

Honored Contributor

@pood1 wrote:

With all that's going on in the world, i don't think pot is that big a deal. (never tried it myself) I consider alcohol to be a much more serious problem, and that's sold and consummed all over. 

@pood1 

I know medical health professionals that would disagree with your about  pot ....stays in the system longer than alcohol, can produce paronia/schizophrenia/psychosis/violence, decline in IQ, impaired thinking, loss sense of personl identity, lung problems, heart problems/risk of stroke--increases heart rate,  lose drive/ambition-many prolonged pot users end up homeless ....many prolonged users end up in psychiatric hospitals

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Did you check out the airport that I hear about. The murals, the horse?