Esteemed Contributor

Apparently FOG was a big factor according to news reports and you could see it in the video.  Traveling at 70 mph w/wet possible icy conditions and then blinded by fog = SMASH.

Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Massive Pileup

[ Edited ]

I'd post the weather.com video...but it might get removed BUT

what they said was....

-28 degrees

-fog slowly moved over the bridge

-1/16 of a mile visibility 

They showed pics...almost looked like a cloud over the bridge.

I checked Twitter...and the interstate opened up around 6-7 hours later.

Those who know Agenda-Free TV...Steve did a broadcast.

I didn't watch, but he might have more info:

https://youtu.be/zZfuW6H4BtI

You can see the land under the bridge is kinda marshy...

which probably held more warm air, thus causing the fog.

Really surprised a vehicle didn't slip over the bridge....

thank goodness there were no fatalities reported. 
E657A8D7-C86A-4B56-B4DC-9D5ADDE5DAD3.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

When I see pictures of these chain-reaction accidents, my first thought is relief that I don't have to clean up the mess.

Really?

You don't think about the people involved?

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

When I see pictures of these chain-reaction accidents, my first thought is relief that I don't have to clean up the mess.

@Kachina624, seriously? That's your first reaction?

@Kachina624's comment makes sense to me. I don't know the first thing about accident scene management, but I look at that and start thinking about how I'd handle getting those cars pulled apart and restoring order to the scene.

My assumption is that there are only vehicles there and that all the people have been taken to the hospital if needed, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

I hadn't heard about this. Those poor people, I hope they all survived. The thing about ice is, even if you can drive on it, (or think you can) that doesn't mean that the others on the road will be able to. 

I stay off of it at all costs. Learned my lesson several years ago with sleet/snow, I don't have the knowledge or know how to handle it. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Virginia Massive Pileup

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624's comment makes sense to me. I don't know the first thing about accident scene management, but I look at that and start thinking about how I'd handle getting those cars pulled apart and restoring order to the scene.

My assumption is that there are only vehicles there and that all the people have been taken to the hospital if needed, etc. 

@noodleannI agree and don't understand the scolding and pile on.  I prefer logical people not those who are emotionally unhinged and feel they have to unleash their emotions by attacking others.  Have seen it before on these boards. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinker Toy wrote:

How selfish of you.   Where is your compasion for humanity.

@Tinker Toy   Just scroll on by a post you find you do not like.  No need to reprimand a poster for her opinion.  ITS AN OPINION.  MOVE ON.

Honored Contributor

@ann1989 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@noodleannI agree and don't understand the scolding and pile on.  I prefer logical people not those who are emotionally unhinged and feel they have to unleash their emotions by attacking others.  Have seen it before on these boards. 

@ann1989, some just thought it was an odd first thought. But thanks, good to know that we are "emotionlly unhinged."

SMH

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland