Honored Contributor

Video of grandfather, toddler and cruise ship is up....

and you can see obviously who is at fault. This video does not show her death.

According to reports covering his first day in court (being charged), this is one of many videos the prosecution has. Hundreds of cameras mounted on the ship recorded what happened as well as witnesses who recorded it. 

It  shows how freaking obvious it is between the open and closed windows as well as how high up they were (made me kinda queasy).  I also agree that had the parents not gone after the cruise line within 24 hours via their lawyer (who the heck moves that fast after someone you love has been killed/dies) that the charges against the grandfather would not have happened. As one person interviewed said, they brought this on themselves by refusing to accept the fact their own family member is responsible for the child's death.

Grandfather will be back in court in early December.

Honored Contributor

Re: Video of grandfather, toddler and cruise ship is up....

@SahmIam   Do you have a link to the report? With so much in the news (?!?!), I've lost track of this incident.

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen the video but I have said from the very beginning there is no way the grandfather couldn't have known there was no glass in the window.  

I have been on cruises myself and it is obvious when there is an open space as opposed to glass there.  

Respected Contributor

My heart breaks for that family. 

Honored Contributor

With all that is going on in the news, I forgot about that case. I havent's seen any articles on the trial.  It was an unimagineable tragedy but it was the grandfather's fault.  As I recall, the family was going after the big payout before their little one was even buried.  

Honored Contributor

About the family's seeking compensation from the cruise line almost immediately, does it seem plausible that in their hurt, their rage, their fear for the grandfather, they challenged the cruise line?  I'm certain they weren't thinking without great emotion affecting their thought processes.  Their fury had to have a target, and they chose the cruise line and not the grandfather, whom, I feel assured, they love.

Any thoughts on this?

Honored Contributor

I think the grandfather made a tragic mistake that he can’t live with.In order to console his absolute grief he and his family need to find fault with the cruise line.I don’t think it will lessen the grief and horror that they must be experiencing though.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe the poor granp's eye sight was not good and he couldn't see the difference between glass and no glass.

This is a very sad happening for this family,please don't knock them!

Many years ago,I was on this cruise ship myself and my tiny 3yr old granddaughter was in the kiddy pool ....

Wayyyyy up on the TOP deck of the ship! We were all sitting right there  watching her as she played in the pool.

SHE GOT OUT OF THE POOL AND IMMEDIATELY  SLIPPED  ON THE VERY WET DECK....

ALMOST UNDER THE VERY HIGH AND  WIDELY SPACED RAILING AROUND IT ALMOST FALLING  INTO THE SEA!!!!

BY THE GRACE OF GOD , WE GRABBED HER JUST IN TIME!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW,  WHY A KIDDY POOL IS LOCATED ON THE TOP DECK of the ship?........

WHY ARE THE RAILINGS PLACED HIGHER THAN THE KIDS ARE TALL and WIDER THAN A CHILDS BODY!!!!

My heart goes out to this poor family.

Respected Contributor

I did not see the video. Maybe the grandpa couldn’t distinguish that it was an open window but to me it is really obvious from pictures of the exact window location that it is open. A reporter who did see the video said the grandfather went over to the open window with the rail in front of it and first on his own looked out leaning forward (but did not stick his head outside the window) and then lifted the little girl up to the railing of the open window.   To me it was a tragic and unintentional error on the part of the grandfather. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've thought from the beginning the grandfather is primarily and most likely wholly the cause of the death.

That the window was open did not cause the fall. But for the man lifting her, she wouldn't have fallen. The lift was causative.