Respected Contributor

@DiscountDiva wrote:

I actually got a check in the mail for almost $2000 unexpectedly the other day. (isn't that nice!) It is not even making me think of cutting back on work or slowing down applying to jobs. I need to leave this place. It is so bad that I am considering writing an expose and maybe getting it published in the local paper or something once I leave. After being so flexible with my schedule and seeing that bending over backwards was not helping me, I finally gave myself a set schedule which does help tremendously.

Don't you work at the most famous museum in NYC?

Honored Contributor

Sorry you're going through this. I used to work with the "public" and some people are horrendous. We learn from them, how not to act. When you get those people, I think it helps to think they may have been dumped on, and you just happen to be the next person they take it out on. Try not to take it personally. They never learn, rude is rude is rude. There's so many more I see now a days. I think some people have a horrible life and how they treat others, just seems to prove it.

Good luck on finding something else. I wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

You are experiencing the "ME" of today's society, especially the shopping public.

It's what *I* want.

You must cater to *me*.

As long as as *I* am happy, then to heck with everyone else.

I don't care if it's against the rules, you must give me what *I* want, in order to make *me* happy.

That's how everybody is today.

Everybody feels entitled.

I absolutely agree with this!!

Respected Contributor

I've worked in CS and as society becomes less polite and more entitled, the CS abuse escalates. I feel the 'heart sucking' pain-been there and needed the job. Are you on phones or is it face to face?  I worked phones for a major credit card 20 years ago-sweet Mary!

Do what you can to be kind to yourself; I'm sorry you are going through this.

Esteemed Contributor

Wishing you well and hopefully you can land a job that does not make you feel unhappy.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@DiscountDiva wrote:

I haven't posted often in this forum because of my job. It is soul-sucking. I don't want to get into too much detail but can any of you offer me any advice when it deals with customer service jobs. I have literally had to deal with people who think that I can read their mind. I mean maybe I should be flattered that they think I am a mind reader. This wouldn't be an issue if it didn't cause them to be so quarrelsome when I don't do things exactly like they expect. Because, hello, I cannot read your freaking mind! I just need to vent. And please wish me well because I am looking for a new job. I am so unhappy.

Customer service jobs can suck the life out of you!  Most people get burned out quickly when dealing with the public on a regular basis!  You are very smart to look for a new job ASAP!  It is always a good idea to keep your current job until you find a new position!

We all support you, John!  Good luck in finding just what you are looking for!

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Sorry. I have worked in customer service in the past and never had the issues you are having. Maybe I was lucky or maybe I just enjoyed my job and it showed.

OR, 

Maybe you never had a bad experience, but the undertone of your post is very insensitive to the OP.  You seem to want to infer that she is somehow to blame for her unpleasant work place and that if she only "behaved herself" she would be happy like you were.  

I've worked with the public all my life.  It's one of the most challenging and frustrating aspects of any job out there. It can indeed wear you down.  

Good luck, OP.  I hope you can find a job that is not so toxic for you.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Re: Very Bad Week at Work

[ Edited ]

I am not in CS per se, but CS is a daily part of my job (usually phone, sometimes in person), among many other things. Some of my CS is for "ordinary people" ;-) and some is for "professional" people. Both can be equally obnoxious and entitled.

I don't fault people for not knowing something, and asking for help. But I frequently deal with people who are new at their jobs and don't know what they're doing, who compensate by insisting that I don't know what I'm doing, or am negligent or somehow at fault, period, because they can't have what they want when they want it - even if they can't articulate what they want. It's one thing to have to guess what a lay person wants/needs, but another to satisfy someone who should know what and how to ask, but doesn't.

And then we get into - yes, we can do that for you.  NOW? No, we can't do it "now", it may take up to 2-3 days worst case scenario. No, you are not the most important or needy person I have spoken with today, and there are three requests ahead of you.  Flies...honey...vinegar, anyone?

Good luck, OP 😫

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@JBKO wishing you the very best in whatever decision you make.

good luck!

Honored Contributor

The poster that coined the phrase  "It is better to be a sieve than a bucket." is absolutely giving the right advice.

I luckily had a Father who (when I complained of pretty much the same thing) said, "Let it go...." which was excellent advice.  The hard part is to actually let it drain out and to actually let it go.... but to survive customer service, you have to find a way to do that .... or a way out.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*