Respected Contributor

When do you put on your seat belt?

I noticed a few times this week that I see other drivers putting on their seat beats as they are leaving the parking lot or neighborhood before they pull out onto the main road.

I put my seat belt on before I shift out of Park, it is just a habit.

Honored Contributor

After I sit down in the car.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it's the law in all 50 states, but in New York where I live it is. I buckle up as soon as I get myself settled in the car and before shifting or pulling out. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Seat belt question

[ Edited ]

I put my on once I back out of our garage.  In other circumstances, I put in on before I start my car.

My husband was one of those people who waited until he pulled out on the road.   Even asking me to steer the car while he fumbled to put it on, same thing when he put on his sun glass clips.   After enough of my "B-hing" at him, he now puts it on like I do and got prescription sunglasses.

Honored Contributor

The answer to that question should be a no-brainer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I put it on as soon as I get in the car.

Respected Contributor

After I start the car and before I shift from Park.  Once in a great while I will be driving down the street and realize I don't have it on.  Then I'd be one of those you see doing it while driving.  I don't know how that happens because I always wear it.

Respected Contributor

I buckle up as soon as I'm settled in the seat, before I turn on the ignition.  If I have passengers, the car does not move until everyone is buckled in.  My rules.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The answer to that question should be a no-brainer.

Yes..and I think all the cars I've owned in the past 20 years, have alerted me to buckle my seatbelt before I put my foot on the accelerator.  (for those who aren't quite sure when to do it)

Honored Contributor

It depends.  I live in a Townhouse and there is no one parked behind me, so I leave it off so i can turn very far around on all sides to watch for kids.  I have a 3 year old next door and she's in the street at all hours of the day.  She knows how to get out of the house.

In parking lots i put it on before i shift. 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN