Esteemed Contributor

Any California drivers affected by the Mudslides?

[ Edited ]

I've watched the local news and have seen all the flooding and mud, rocks, debris, dirt and sand and yuck, overpowering the roads and the vehicles.  The I-5 closed for hours and another main artery going north is also closed and backed up for at least today.  More rainfuall is predeicted and some folks already have their homes up to 3-5 ft of mud surrounding them. 

I am not in that area but feel for so many that are.  I saw the animals (horses) overcome by the sudden water/mud flow and couldn't watch as people helped dig them out and hope they would survive. 

Everyone take care and stay safe. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Re: Any California drivers affected by the Mudslides?

OMG... I grew up in So. Ca and lived there until 5 years ago.  Am VERY familiar with the Grape Vine.  Nasty enough drive with the height and all the drivers!  Not to mention that it's a main artery north and south!  Unbelievable .....horrible.... stay safe~!!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but what is the Grape Vine?  Also, is the rain helping the drought situation?  TIA

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Sorry, but what is the Grape Vine?  Also, is the rain helping the drought situation?  TIA

Highway 5 in CA, almost a straight shot, fast driving capability.

i-5 Northern California Map

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

The southern CA end:

i-5 Southern California Map

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr The Grapevine is the name the old I-5 was given due to it's many twists and turns - like a grapevine.  In the past, many delivery truck would loose their brakes from so much slowing down and going around curves - they would go over the sides and down the canyons often with fatalities.  It is still called that today.  It runs from Castaic through the bottom and up through through hills (re-done for safety) to about Weedpatch more or less.  The hillside just gave in and covered Tractor trailers up to their windows.  The alternate route highway 58 is closed until - who knows when. It is also overcome by mud and many delivery trucks are backed up several miles. 

This rainfall is but a drop in the bucket Much more needs to fall before we ever pull out of this drought. 

It's Friday and the faumous 101 is now shut down both ways due to a person threatening to commit suicide on an overpass.  What a mess.     

Honored Contributor

They are predicting a really wild El Nino hitting mostly southern CA.

I wonder if there's a way of predicting the danger areas?  Most likely to flood.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank You Noel for the map.

Trusted Contributor

I live in Norhridge, not far from the grapevine.  We had no rain here, and are still waiting.

Honored Contributor

Still no rain to speak of in the Bay Area.