Regular Contributor

Someone told me that Verizon is stopping their email service. Does anybody have any information about this?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Yup.  My friend had Verizon.  He just sent me his new gmail address.

Honored Contributor

Re: Verizon email

[ Edited ]

@jagk,  Here's Verizon's detailed FAQ page under "Support, Email Retirement."   I think it will answer any questions for you.  

Since the link might be considered a retail site, I'm not making it active...  just copy and paste without the spaces or do an internet search for "Verizon Email Retirement":

"We have decided to close down our email business. We will let you know when it's time to choose how to handle your email account going forward via email. In addition, you'll see a message from us when you log into your email from webmail.verizon.com indicating “Email service notice”. Click on “Keep verizon.net email address” or “Try any other email provider” to complete the setup... "

https: // www . verizon . com/support/residential/email/migrations.htm

(eta:  This article explains it, too -- http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Kills-Email-Service-You-Probably-Didnt-Use-Anyway-139177)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It's no wonder they did that as their email service had so many problems!!   When I switched to Verizon internet, I changed  my email to theirs and what a mess!!  After changing my email address everywhere I found I often got locked out of my account for no reason and had to call to have it unlocked.  After about 9 months of that I changed back to my old email account. 

Honored Contributor

we just switched to Fios expecting to get a v.net email so we all have gmail. now

which is fine,  and then I set it up to work with outlook

Honored Contributor

only problem now is that sometimes you need a "backup" email to retrieve passwords and do I want to establish yet another email with gmail?

wonder how long my email will last with previous cable company,  I ditched a yahoo addy after their last hacking go around. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, thanks.  I had no idea.  

Valued Contributor

Oh No!!! I don't want yet another way for google to follow my life.  

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine told me about this two weeks ago.  She had been getting emails telling her that they were going to be ending their email service on March 31!!  I never got any emails telling me or if I had they could have been buried in all of the spam that I get everyday.  

Anyway it's freaking me out since I have been using it for most business related emails...for example emails from QVC goes to my Verizon/Yahoo account.  I can go through each company where I want to continue getting emails (coupons, etc.) but who can remember all of them?

I have two Gmail accounts now.  One that I just opened simply for all of the junk emails.  I still like getting information about sales from places like Talbots, JJill, & Chicos, etc. but again, I know I will miss something important.  

My friend did mention something about keeping your Verizon email somehow through AOL but it's something I still have to look into and figure out...I have a week...

Honored Contributor

my Verizon email service will stop 1 april.

i was sent a email for getting into the new email service Verizon signed up with.

Am now into AOL.COM  with my Verizon.net address.

there is no cost for the change or for using the aol service.

i was advised that Verizon did this blending service about 2 yrs ago (contracts were signed with AOL to blend both services together).

If you do not join AOL before the 1 April deadline, you will LOSE your Verizon email account.