Honored Contributor

Re: Vegetable Oil Shortage

[ Edited ]

About two weeks ago I heard that a major problem for food manufacturers is that there is a GLASS shortage, which means they can't get their bottles and jars in stock, even though they have the food product ready to go. 

The packaging shortage is what's causing the product shortages.

Apparently we are also having a tequila shortage, and that's because the tequila producers can't get their special bottles to fill and send out.

It's always something.

@drizzellla 

That's probably why you can't get your tartar sauce.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vegetable Oil Shortage

[ Edited ]

You're actually better off eating avocado oil or olive oil on your sandwich.  Typical vegetable oils like canola oil and corn oil are GMO and highly inflammatory.  

Honored Contributor

Yup. Went grocery shopping yesterday at my Meijer store and the vegetable oil area was completely bare. I just picked up some at another local store and this time I got a large size.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

At my social club we cook chicken wings once a week. The price of the oil has doubled in the last two months as well as the price of the chicken wings and the fish and scallops that we purchase for Friday night dinners.  I believe it's a combination of a lot factors that contribute to this problem. 

Helen852
Honored Contributor

Some days I just have to SMH at the comments.

The OP was getting a sub.  I don't think she needs to be told what type of oil she'd be better off eating.  It's a small amount on a sub.  It's not like she's drinking it by the cup full.

And yes you can use vegetable oil on a sub.  The oil and vinegar Subway uses is vegetable oil.       

Honored Contributor

I never use oil.

Honored Contributor

Whew, everyone be thankful that we have some self-appointed post police on board here. Why wouldn't someone want to give another healthier oil option a try, unless they were either stubborn or uneducated on the topic? 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

My most recent bag of Wavy Lays had a different oil in it. I could tell by how it left a residue of oil on my lips and there was a slightly different taste than usual. The package lists three or four oils that could be used. I'm thinking that soybean oil is what was missing.