Honored Contributor

at this point in time, i would not get a vaccination for this.

i do not get flu shots.

my mom had a flu shot this past year and she was confirmed to have gotten the flu. it took her a month+ to fully recover.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have had genuine influenza twice so I nearly always get the flu shot, but not the senior version, which seemed to make some people sick. So far, so good.

The more I read about what COVID-19 can do to people early on in presentation, during the battle, and post-recovery, the more I think that it would be very easy to underestimate the harm the virus can do to a person's mind and body. I had a negative epiphany about the future COVID vaccine after reading about and looking at pictures of "COVID toes." I realized that I don't want this virus in my body if I can help it, so I will not be getting the vaccine.

Good luck to all of you who sign on.

Respected Contributor

Re: Vaccine Question

[ Edited ]

Heard again this morning that It will be at least a year perhaps more before a vaccine is ready & now that this virus has mutated it'll be more difficult to create one. I always get a flu shot, this year for the first time I got the recommended enhanced for seniors & got terribly sick so I won't ever do that one again. When a vaccine is created for this virus I'll probably wait until those with preexisting conditions get it since their need is greater than mine & then stand in line for my turn. I'm out everyday, I've been criticized for it by some friends but I know what I'm doing, don't care what they think & from my experience I believe there's 2 different types of healthy able bodied people my age...This is awful, what can I do to help others & This is awful, what can others do to help me.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

at this point in time, i would not get a vaccination for this.

i do not get flu shots.

my mom had a flu shot this past year and she was confirmed to have gotten the flu. it took her a month+ to fully recover.

@sunshine45  Thank goodness she got her flu shot.  Just think how much longer her recovery would have been had she not gotten the shot.  Flu shots are never 100%, but any doctor will affirm that a flu shot does not give you the flu.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Just because a person has never had the flu in way means that that person is somehow immune for life. It's the luck of the draw.

We always get one and have never had anything but mild reactions. It's not 100 percent, but even if you do get the flu, it seems to be milder.

As for the virus, if it is as well vetted as all other vaccines, then yes, we'll get it. I hope that soon we will get some definitive answer as to whether someone who tests positive for Covid has immunity, and if so, for how long. To me, given that my daughter and family have recovered from Covid, it is uppermost in my mind as to whether we can be them again.

I certainly meant "when"!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Getting a flu shot not only protects you but also those around you like children or vulnerable adults with health conditions.  When I was younger I never got a flu shot, but came to my senses years ago knowing that I'm doing my best to protect myself and loved ones around me who over the years have developed conditions.  I will most likely get the vaccine for covid for the same reasons.

Honored Contributor

I do not get the flu shot at this point in time, although I haven't ruled it out as a NEVER in my life. 

I don't intend to be one of the first in line for a Covid vaccine either, but hope to be in a position to watch and wait to see just how effective/safe it is. 

I think with the high pressure to come up with one, that too many corners will be cut, and at the best, it will not be very effective.

The chart I saw of efficacy on the flu vaccine ranges between 10 and 60% and a lot of years falls at 40% and under. It would seem that the way this Covid virus spreads, it would need to be much higher to make a difference for the many.

Honored Contributor

I  have never had the flu shot and would have to do a wait and see on any vaccine for this. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I do not get the flu shot at this point in time, although I haven't ruled it out as a NEVER in my life. 

I don't intend to be one of the first in line for a Covid vaccine either, but hope to be in a position to watch and wait to see just how effective/safe it is. 

I think with the high pressure to come up with one, that too many corners will be cut, and at the best, it will not be very effective.

The chart I saw of efficacy on the flu vaccine ranges between 10 and 60% and a lot of years falls at 40% and under. It would seem that the way this Covid virus spreads, it would need to be much higher to make a difference for the many.

@Mominohio  True, the flu strain changes each year and we all know it is never promised to be 100% effective.  In a year and a half I think (hope) the vaccine the hard working scientists develop will not cut any corners in the development.  I'll take any efficacy percentage if it means a chance of not dying alone on a ventilator.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I get the flu shot.

Yes, I will get the vaccine when it becomes available.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.