Honored Contributor

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S BIRTHDAY

[ Edited ]

william-shakespeare-194895-1-402.jpg

Born April 23, 1564.  Died 52 years later, also on April 23.

To be accurate, some entries just state his baptism date, April 26.  The consensus is, although there are no definitive records to prove it, he would have been born on the 23rd.

Extraordinary to think such overflowing brilliance was contained in his 52 action-packed years.   That, among other factors, including his common birth, fuels those determined to dispute his authorship.

What can one say about the unprecedented flow of plays and poetry from this writing genius?   One of the things I love the most, is the way his invented expressions have woven their way into the English language, informing our culture.  Shakespeare's pithy lines and expressions are second only to those of the Bible in the way they have become part of our literary and even everyday background.

Here is just a limited sampling:  (Sorry for the cramped format-- it wasn't that easy to cut and paste these.)

fancy free 

brevity is the soul of wit

The game is afoot

“All our yesterdays”— (Macbeth)

“As good luck would have it” — (The Merry Wives of Windsor)

“As merry as the day is long” — (Much Ado About Nothing / King John)

“Bated breath” — (The Merchant of Venice)

“Be-all and the end-all” — (Macbeth)

“Neither a borrower nor a lender be” — (Hamlet)

“Brave new world” — (The Tempest)

“Break the ice” — (The Taming of the Shrew)

“Brevity is the soul of wit” — (Hamlet)

“Refuse to budge an inch” — (Measure for Measure / The Taming of the Shrew)

“Cold comfort” — (The Taming of the Shrew / King John)

“Conscience does make cowards of us all” — (Hamlet)

“Crack of doom” — (Macbeth)

“Dead as a doornail” — (Henry VI Part II)

“A dish fit for the gods” — (Julius Caesar)

“Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war” — (Julius Caesar)

“Devil incarnate” — (Titus Andronicus / Henry V)

“Eaten me out of house and home” — (Henry IV Part II)

“Faint hearted” — (Henry VI Part I)

“Fancy-free” — (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)

“Forever and a day” — (As You Like It)

“For goodness’ sake” — (Henry VIII)

“Foregone conclusion” — (Othello)

“Full circle” — (King Lear)

“The game is afoot” — (Henry IV Part I)

“Give the devil his due” — (Henry IV Part I)

“Good riddance” — (Troilus and Cressida)

“Jealousy is the green-eyed monster” — (Othello)

“Heart of gold” — (Henry V)

“Hoist with his own petard” — (Hamlet)

“Ill wind which blows no man to good” — (Henry IV Part II)

“In my heart of hearts” — (Hamlet)

“In my mind’s eye” — (Hamlet)

“Kill with kindness” — (The Taming of the Shrew)

“Knock knock! Who’s there?” — (Macbeth)

“Laughing stock” — (The Merry Wives of Windsor)

“Live long day” — (Julius Caesar)

“Love is blind” — (The Merchant of Venice)

“Milk of human kindness” — (Macbeth)

“More sinned against than sinning” — (King Lear)

“One fell swoop” — (Macbeth)

“Play fast and loose” — (King John)

“Set my teeth on edge” — (Henry IV Part I)

“Wear my heart upon my sleeve” — (Othello)

“Wild-goose chase” — (Romeo and Juliet)

I've unthinkingly used so many of these phrases countless times.  Thank you, Will, and Happy Birthday!

Respected Contributor

Re: WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S BIRTHDAY

[ Edited ]

My British mother and I belonged to a group called the "Shakespeare Players." Most of them could quote him verbatim and discuss his works at length. We had several university professors and scholars in the group. We went to a lot of Shakespearian plays and a lot of field trips. They were intellectual but not "stuffy" so we also drank our share of really good ale and wine as a toast to him.

Valued Contributor

Great list, @Oznell.  After reading Hamlet and Macbeth in high school, I was hooked on Shakespeare. My favorite play was The Merry Wives of Windsor.  

Honored Contributor

He knew human nature probably better than anyone has before or since. A truly remarkable and wise man.
Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining--  Wow-  lucky you and your mother.  That sounds FABULOUS!   What fun you must have had.  Thank you for sharing that.

@Ruby Laine,  I'm very interested that "The Merry Wives of Windsor" is your favorite.  I'm going to look it up again. My acquaintanceship with the plays is not what it should be.  Had I to pick a favorite, I'd waver between "Hamlet" and "Othello" I suppose.  And, on a lighter note, I vaguely remember loving "As You LIke It", but have never seen it performed.

@Pearlee, exactly.  The knowledge of human nature (which doesn't change, essentially over the centuries), is just staggering, which is I guess why we keep relating to the plays and other works.  I've been trying to think which of the expressions he invented I like the best, and it's so hard to narrow down!  They're so colorful...  Maybe "crack of doom"..   Or "more sinned against than sinning",  or the "milk of human kindness",   or "cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war",  or "the game is afoot!"......  

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  The rebuilt Globe is a delight!  Thanks to Sam Wanamaker.  

We ‘purchased’ a brick when the building started as many other people did to help with the building of this great theatre we were given a certificate for our ‘brick’ which we still have.

It is closed now due to ‘virus’ but if you go on YouTube Shakespeare's globe they are streaming free performance of Romeo & Juliet until the end of May performed at the Globe.  We have watched it - it is very enjoyable.  Love the Globe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  My son was born on this day 39 years ago. My OBGYN was also named William. We came this close to naming our son William, but went with our original choice instead. Always easy to remember good ol' Willie's birthday anyway!

Honored Contributor

What great stories, @Dulwich and @PA Mom-mom !

@dulwich,  I had, lost in the back of my head somewhere, retained that Sam Wanamaker came over to Blighty and got involved in the way you describe--  Cool!  And thanks for pointing out what will be a great resource.

@PA Mom-mom,  that naming thing always seems so momentous.  You waver among several, then choose one and it becomes THE name.  We also considered handsome "William", but ultimately chose otherwise...