Honored Contributor

Re: VPH Show....

[ Edited ]

@Brooklynny

You took the words right out of my mouth.... Smiley Wink How is one supposedto discuss/mention angels...perhaps refer to them as "alien beings" I guess ...LOL 

@nana59

BTW did you post and have the same objection when Barbara Bixby talked about the Hindu/Buddism religious symbols in her jewelry or when she discussed new age philosophy on the skull jewelry.....?????????????

If you do not want to hear a mention of religion don't watch a CHRISTmas decor Show!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Re: VPH Show....

[ Edited ]

@Spurt, it's amazing what some people are offended by.  Believe this or not, but it's true:  I live two blocks from my parish church.  It's a huge, beautiful Gothic structure built in the 1890s.  It was built when the original wood building burned down.  The parish ran out of money, and there were no funds to put in bells.  

It it wasn't until the 1980s that a generous parishioner made a donation to be used to purchase a carillon (which happen to be a recording of bells from St. Peter's in Rome).  We now had "bells" that rang on the hour followed by a short hymn.  During The Christmas season, the hymns are replaced by traditional Christmas songs.  Unfortunately, the carillon stopped working, and there was no money to replace the equipment.  It wasn't until five years ago that a parishioner made a donation to replace the broken machine.  We now have new "bells."

In the last 20-25 years, our neighborhood has undergone significant gentrification.  What was once a working to middle class Catholic neighborhood is no longer.  This is a normal evolution over time; populations change in cycles.

However, in the past 2-3 years, some of the newest people to the neighborhood have begun complaining about the bells.  Apparently they don't want to be disturbed (the bells ring from 9am to 8 pm), or they are not the same religion and are insulted by the hymns.  They have continually called 311 to file complaints against the church, and they harass the pastor by email.  

There are churches all over Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is not nicknamed "the borough of churches" for nothing.  If someone doesn't like church bells, and they move into a neighborhood with a church (there are FOUR churches in my neighborhood alone), then give me a valid reason why in the world did you buy such a house if bells disturb or offend you?  

This is the honest truth.  I am not making this up, and I don't think anyone could.  Last year, our pastor was so upset by the complaining that he stopped the bells.  The parishioners got upset, he was persuaded to turn them back on three weeks ago, and we are determined to keep the bells ringing regardless of who doesn't like them.  I haven't heard of any complaints yet, but it's early yet.  I hope there won't be.

It's a real pity that we've come to this, that some people's sensibilities are so very fragile that they are insulted by the most insignificant things -- and of all things, church bells?!?

I won't say what I really think about the attitude of the bell complainers, but they sure have some nerve to say the least.

Respected Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@Spurt, it's amazing what some people are offended by.  Believe this or not, but it's true:  I live two blocks from my parish church.  It's a huge, beautiful Gothic structure built in the 1890s.  It was built when the original wood building burned down.  The parish ran out of money, and there were no funds to put in bells.  

It it wasn't until the 1980s that a generous parishioner made a donation to be used to purchase a carillon (which happen to be a recording of bells from St. Peter's in Rome).  We now had "bells" that rang on the hour followed by a short hymn.  During The Christmas season, the hymns are replaced by traditional Christmas songs.  Unfortunately, the carillon stopped working, and there was no money to replace the equipment.  It wasn't until five years ago that a parishioner made a donation to replace the broken machine.  We now have new "bells."

In the last 20-25 years, our neighborhood has undergone significant gentrification.  What was once a working to middle class Catholic neighborhood is no longer.  This is a normal evolution over time; populations change in cycles.

However, in the past 2-3 years, some of the newest people to the neighborhood have begun complaining about the bells.  Apparently they don't want to be disturbed (the bells ring from 9am to 8 pm), or they are not the same religion and are insulted by the hymns.  They have continually called 311 to file complaints against the church, and they harass the pastor by email.  

There are churches all over Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is not nicknamed "the borough of churches" for nothing.  If someone doesn't like church bells, and they move into a neighborhood with a church (there are FOUR churches in my neighborhood alone), then give me a valid reason why in the world did you buy such a house if bells disturb or offend you?  

This is the honest truth.  I am not making this up, and I don't think anyone could.  Last year, our pastor was so upset by the complaining that he stopped the bells.  The parishioners got upset, he was persuaded to turn them back on three weeks ago, and we are determined to keep the bells ringing regardless of who doesn't like them.  I haven't heard of any complaints yet, but it's early yet.  I hope there won't be.

It's a real pity that we've come to this, that some people's sensibilities are so very fragile that they are insulted by the most insignificant things -- and of all things, church bells?!?

I won't say what I really think about the attitude of the bell complainers, but they sure have some nerve to say the least.

The thing is, what I think is happening here isn't the OP being offended about hearing religious things on the air, she's pouting because the moderators put the kabosh on the daily religious thread in among friends and have stated that the subject of religion is now classified as a controversial subject.

Somehow some folks cannot differentiate between QVC on-air and the QVC forums.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana I think you are right.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Mary Beth and Valerie are interjecting quite a lot of religious comments during this show......according to QVC moderators this is a "no no" on the boards.....but I guess it's okay on national tv? I guess the hosts and guests haven't gotten the memo........

Difference is --- they are trying to selll their items and discuss what may tug at your heartstrings to get you to buy it.  On a forum, you're starting a discussion with many many people that almost always ends up in a fight.

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@Brooklynny

It's just ridiculous---COMMON SENSE---has left the building!!!! Oh the humanity, or inhumanity of it all-- It's amazing how those people could be that stupid---don't move near a churches !!!  If I were your church I would see if you could sue these people for filing frivolous complaints!!!! 

I remember when I was back in middle school, there was a delay on closing of the home my parents purchased, so we had to move into a rental property temporarily, it was right across the street from a church....we expected the church bells and all traffic as people entered and exited after services etc....we worked around it and I liked to hear the bells ring!!!

And what happened to the days when people respected other people's rights/beliefs even though their's may be different....Times have changed but not for the better!

BTW I just love beautiful historic churches!!!   Your church sounds lovely!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Brooklynny wrote:

The thing is, what I think is happening here isn't the OP being offended about hearing religious things on the air, she's pouting because the moderators put the kabosh on the daily religious thread in among friends and have stated that the subject of religion is now classified as a controversial subject.

@Buck-i-Nana

Thank you for the clarification so there was more to this than we've been told....alrighty then!

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Brooklynny wrote:

Bingo.

Expect an increase in similar threads making similar cracks about this subject in the coming days and months. Even though most of the affected major players have moved on and are just quietly dealing, some of the people who contributed to causing the issue in the first place - those who just HAVE to push the envelope as far as they can - will keep on keepin' on - against the wishes of the one most affected, since she asked people to not do that and to let it go.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

Please read my post about being polite with your comments.  Okay, you disagree, but you don't have to be rude about it!