Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Yes, absolutely... however I also feel that is has a lot to do with personal preferences.  I personally can't take higher pitched voices either in song (Dolly Parton) or in speeches. I tend to listen better of people with lower pitched voices (Cher).  I don't like being screamed at (Whitney Houston, Albany) and do better at paying attention with a softer, lower timber.....   

Yes, an interesting point regarding personal preferences or I will call them "tolerance levels".

My MIL has always been a very loud talker and you can imagine how much louder she becomes during a heated discussion!...Both her and my FIL ended up with hearing problems and they were only in their early 60's at the time...I think my FIL was happy to get a hearing aid, as he then could turn her off whenever he wanted to...LOL

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Yes, absolutely... however I also feel that is has a lot to do with personal preferences.  I personally can't take higher pitched voices either in song (Dolly Parton) or in speeches. I tend to listen better of people with lower pitched voices (Cher).  I don't like being screamed at (Whitney Houston, Albany) and do better at paying attention with a softer, lower timber.....   

Referring to the bolded language, I couldn't agree more.  Seems most people enjoy being yelled at, but not me.  It all started with Barbra Streisand and her laser voice that could peel wallpaper off the wall and her decibel level most of the time is off the chart. 

Working up and through those that have hits, (I don't necessarily call them musicans), their vocals are most often bereft of musicality due to yelling/shouting that they are this minute causing the death of cells in the inner ear and will thus contribute to the coffers of ENT docs and audiologists worldwide in the future, as these cells do not regenerate.

Trusted Contributor

We were taught in voice and etiquette to speak with melodious voices.  My profession demanded precise elocution, lives depended on it. So many young people imitate anything they think is cool and never understand the impact of their choices.  A shrill, nasal, "electrical short" voice will eliminate a candidate from consideration for any respectable ( $$$lucrative $$$) position in my world . 

The strange voice patterns and pitch contributors find annoying do not arise from malformation or deformation , they're affectations !  They practice these patterns until they get it right, until they sound just that person they admire. 

When a Q host or guest is so clueless, or vain, that she sees no need to leave the " cool"  TRILL , the hisssssssssss and the dropped consonants at the video arcade with their friends, she exhibits her disrespect of , her disdain for her listeners . Some  posters have written about QVC 's  concentration on attracting younger viewers and I agree! They don't seem to realize that we with incomes , resources constitute their economic base. 

Please understand that sound is physical , electrical stimulation and can bring excruciating pain for stroke victims and others with neurological injuries, ( like so many veterans with TBI , traumatic brain injury ) Pain caused by auditory stimuli and phonophobia are real and can be disabling. It's not funny to those of us who suffer. therefrom.

Callous disregard for audience members has become the norm .  The loud,  harsh , false voices are never moderated. Having been a CVN , then QVC viewer for 30+ y, it's saddens me. When Jane sold Yves Rocher we thought her voice inappropriate, elvish. By comparison with the new batch of hosts the same irritating voice now seems melodious.  What a shame.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I think voices matter when it comes to the radio, tv, media in general. However, I also think a dynamic personality matters.

I have a cousin who did not attend college until later in life, but she got ahead in her career (before she went to college), by just having a friendly dynamic personality! She ended up being President of a company!

To add- My husband is quite laid back and not really outgoing around people he doesn't know. However when he speaks he has been told he has a voice for radio. Even when he makes calls to our bank, or the Dr. (the list goes on), people on the phone have told him that he should be a radio announcer. lol. And he used to act in theatre (local), and when he was on stage he was like an entirely different person. (Very good at doing theatre and acting, partially due to his voice).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@CoG wrote:

We were taught in voice and etiquette to speak with melodious voices.  My profession demanded precise elocution, lives depended on it. So many young people imitate anything they think is cool and never understand the impact of their choices.  A shrill, nasal, "electrical short" voice will eliminate a candidate from consideration for any respectable ( $$$lucrative $$$) position in my world . 

The strange voice patterns and pitch contributors find annoying do not arise from malformation or deformation , they're affectations !  They practice these patterns until they get it right, until they sound just that person they admire. 

When a Q host or guest is so clueless, or vain, that she sees no need to leave the " cool"  TRILL , the hisssssssssss and the dropped consonants at the video arcade with their friends, she exhibits her disrespect of , her disdain for her listeners . Some  posters have written about QVC 's  concentration on attracting younger viewers and I agree! They don't seem to realize that we with incomes , resources constitute their economic base. 

Please understand that sound is physical , electrical stimulation and can bring excruciating pain for stroke victims and others with neurological injuries, ( like so many veterans with TBI , traumatic brain injury ) Pain caused by auditory stimuli and phonophobia are real and can be disabling. It's not funny to those of us who suffer. therefrom.

Callous disregard for audience members has become the norm .  The loud,  harsh , false voices are never moderated. Having been a CVN , then QVC viewer for 30+ y, it's saddens me. When Jane sold Yves Rocher we thought her voice inappropriate, elvish. By comparison with the new batch of hosts the same irritating voice now seems melodious.  What a shame.

We have QVC's Sales & Marketing to thank for this approach.  I'd be interested to know their rationale behind this hook 'em and sell through manipulation of voice.

I don't watch much at all, but you've got my curiosty going, so will have to tune and listen.

Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

Voices matter but I think it's subjective because a voice I have trouble listening to might be one someone else likes.

Yes it is subjective, I've only had two people complain about my voice. One person said my voice carried and to tone it down(my boss), and a girl at school who said she just didn't care for the sound. I could not stand to be around some one with a thick southern accent no matter what the sound or an English accent. Monotone just puts me to sleep.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 Monotone is really bad for me, too.

If I am consciously trying, I think "melodious" would be what I would be thinking of trying for.

some people can't help that they have a "gravelly" voice, but it is difficult for me to listen to. Just hope that as I get older my voice doesn't get that way🎉😎❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@CoG wrote:

We have QVC's Sales & Marketing to thank for this approach.  I'd be interested to know their rationale behind this hook 'em and sell through manipulation of voice.

I don't watch much at all, but you've got my curiosty going, so will have to tune and listen.

@sfnative  @CoG

This question might not belong here?

I wondered if I hear my voice as others do?

When I have heard my own voice recorded, I found it strange, like that's how I sound?

Do I hear my recorded voice as others do when I speak? Silly question probably!

Is my recorded voice is that how I sound to others?

Sounds different to me? Hope this makes sense!?

Super Contributor

As singers, we direct sound up to a "sweet spot" on the soft palette in the mouth, then direct that sound up into the sinuses to resonate.  This results in a rich sound, whereas the Valley Girl sound stops dead in the sinuses/nose, because it has not had a source of resonance.

@sfnative or @CoG

How would one achieve this?

What exercise could I do to get rid of a nasal sound?

Or is there such a thing to change ones voice?

Thank you!

sunshine&rainbows

Honored Contributor

I was always told I have a nice voice.

My voice was used about 20 years ago for a major insurance company to prompt you to different departments or for people hung up in que.

But I think from watching The Nanny nightly for so many years at bedtime I picked up her voice and accent (and I can do the laugh, too, annoying).

I just heard myself on a video I have on my phone from this weekend and deleted it because I couldn't stand the sound of my voice.

I may need to go to a voice coach or something.  Although I can still sing well.