Esteemed Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Please Google vocal fry = creaking = laryngealization = glottal fry = pulse phonation.  Our friend is absolutely correct.  It's an affectation.  A deliberate approximation of the arytenoid cartilages to cause vibration of the vocal cords at 20 - 50 pulses per minute.  

These ladies have set themselves apart alright, decreased their market value  , 

I simply cannot imagine affecting such as you've mentioned!  Having not kept up with the Kardashians or any of that ilk, I'm not acquainted with their deliberate vocal prodction of which you speak, which would seem to be, in the end, of some injury to the vocal folds.  I dare say, they will regret this down the road.

Esteemed Contributor

sunshine&rainbows,

The heat has caused a flare of my chronic migraine, so will ask that you be patient with me as I work through this.  Will be back to you, as soon as I'm able to make sense without embarrassing myself while on pain pills and little sleep.  Meantime, I am slowly working on instructions.  Thanks for understanding.

Honored Contributor

(((@sfnative)))  Most importantly, sending healing thoughts to you.  I have chronic, disabling migraine disease, with almost daily intractable pain and other associated side effects, and I know it's awful.Heart

~~~~~~

Regarding the "vocal fry," I posted this a couple of weeks ago on another thread about "Verbal pet peeves."  The link is helpful because it includes videos with examples of the sound:

"I  think the "vocal fry" is a wee bit grating to the nerves...

"What is Vocal Fry?"

link:  http://mentalfloss.com/article/61552/what-vocal-fry"

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

sunshine&rainbows,

The heat has caused a flare of my chronic migraine, so will ask that you be patient with me as I work through this.  Will be back to you, as soon as I'm able to make sense without embarrassing myself while on pain pills and little sleep.  Meantime, I am slowly working on instructions.  Thanks for understanding.

@sfnative

Thank you for replying, I was concerned about you.

I will pray that your migraines will go away forever.

Please give yourself as much time as you need, I am not going anywhere.

You are such an intelligent and lovely person.

I admire your strength.

I am humbled by your reply.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others.

sunshine&rainbows

QVC Customer Care

@hckynutjohn

This site has perviously been deleted because it is against standards and security issues. Per our standards third party links are not allow.

Thank you,

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  I hope you are feeling better!  This is such an interesting thread!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Sunshine&Rainbows,

Thank you so much for prayers.  Our weather has been very hot, so I've stayed inside, which has helped immensely, too.  Headache pain is now minimal.  Additionally, I am very late in getting back to you as we found out the house we are purchasing will close this Thursday or Friday, which is 2 weeks ahead of schedule, so we've been packing like mad.  I've checked the forums a few times, but wanted my head clear of distractions and the demands of packing and husband cursing in the background.  (To that end, I'm happy with the layout of the new house, as he can do whatever in his room and I can be in the living room and have a modicum of peace.)

To begin our quest with your voice, I need to get a handle on the manner in which you breathe, so would ask that you do the following:

1.  Stand in front of the largest mirror in your home.

2  Assume this posture when standing:  Feet: should be placed as wide as your hips.  Confused?  Let's go with about 10;"  Knees: since women tend to "lock" their knees, which is not good for circulation and can cause thigh muscles to get tired or even cramp, just slightly bend your knees; Hips: place your right hand on your lower abdomen and your left hand on the top center of your bum where your sacrum is.  Now tilt your hips forward, then back.  Forward, then back.  For our purposes, assume the forward position (pelvic tilt) -  the back "tilt," if you will, makes your bum stick out-don't want this; Arms: let them hang relaxed and straight down, with the palms facing your body;  Shoulders: in a neutral position, which is neither forward or exaggerated back, as one sees in the military; Head: we need to create a neutral postion, so want you to tuck your chin in slightly so that your ears ends up being directly above an imaginary line drawn from the neck to the shoulder.

Looking in the mirror, take 3 deep breaths, just as your doctors asks you to do.  Watch what your body is doing in the mirror.  Repeat the 3 deep breaths, but this time I want you to tell me what your shoulders look like when you're doing this.  Following this, I'd like you repeat the 3 deep breaths and tell me what your abdomen is doing.  **When taking deep breaths, inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth.

I'm going to wait for your reply before proceding.  Please get back to me if you need help.  Tell me if anything above is obtuse or confusing.

~Rebecca

Super Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Sunshine&Rainbows,

Thank you so much for prayers.  Our weather has been very hot, so I've stayed inside, which has helped immensely, too.  Headache pain is now minimal.  Additionally, I am very late in getting back to you as we found out the house we are purchasing will close this Thursday or Friday, which is 2 weeks ahead of schedule, so we've been packing like mad.  I've checked the forums a few times, but wanted my head clear of distractions and the demands of packing and husband cursing in the background.  (To that end, I'm happy with the layout of the new house, as he can do whatever in his room and I can be in the living room and have a modicum of peace.)

To begin our quest with your voice, I need to get a handle on the manner in which you breathe, so would ask that you do the following:

1.  Stand in front of the largest mirror in your home.

2  Assume this posture when standing:  Feet: should be placed as wide as your hips.  Confused?  Let's go with about 10;"  Knees: since women tend to "lock" their knees, which is not good for circulation and can cause thigh muscles to get tired or even cramp, just slightly bend your knees; Hips: place your right hand on your lower abdomen and your left hand on the top center of your bum where your sacrum is.  Now tilt your hips forward, then back.  Forward, then back.  For our purposes, assume the forward position (pelvic tilt) -  the back "tilt," if you will, makes your bum stick out-don't want this; Arms: let them hang relaxed and straight down, with the palms facing your body;  Shoulders: in a neutral position, which is neither forward or exaggerated back, as one sees in the military; Head: we need to create a neutral postion, so want you to tuck your chin in slightly so that your ears ends up being directly above an imaginary line drawn from the neck to the shoulder.

Looking in the mirror, take 3 deep breaths, just as your doctors asks you to do.  Watch what your body is doing in the mirror.  Repeat the 3 deep breaths, but this time I want you to tell me what your shoulders look like when you're doing this.  Following this, I'd like you repeat the 3 deep breaths and tell me what your abdomen is doing.  **When taking deep breaths, inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth.

I'm going to wait for your reply before proceding.  Please get back to me if you need help.  Tell me if anything above is obtuse or confusing.

~Rebecca

@sfnative I can understand, I have moved so many times. Congratulations on your new home! How exciting.

I printed out the breathing exercise, when inhaling, seems like my shoulders go up and my stomach goes in, exhaling my shoulders go down and my stomach seems to protrude ever so slightly.

Esteemed Contributor

Sunshine&Rainbows,

Thank you for providing results, which really help a great deal.  And, thank you for being patient.   We continued to pack this week for our move and somewhere in there I developed a bad infection in my right big toe, so off to the doc and on antibiotics.  If it isn't one thing it's another.

I had also misplaced my notes this week and nearly went mad with anxiety thinking I might have packed them.  You wouldn't believe where I found them: on the bottom of the pile of receipes I had pulled for this weeks' dinner menus.

Lungs and Diaphragm: You have 2 lungs which begin directly below your collar bones.  They are protected by the rib cage.  The right lung is larger than the left lung, as the left lung cradles the heart and so has made room for it.  At the bottom end of both lungs, and "stretched" from right to left, is the diaphragm.  The diaphragm is like a tough sheet of tissue that when accuated and pulled down causes the lungs to draw in air.  Conversely, when relaxed, the diaphragm allows for expiration of air.

1.  Raising the shoulders when breathing is common.  However, it results in pulling in far less "fresh air" than breathing from the abdomen.  Example: a baby on its back breathing.  What do you see?  You see the baby's abdomen going up and down and up and down.  The baby's shoulders are abslutely still.  Though no one knows why, some time in our teens we un-learn abdominal breathing and start shallow shoulder breathing.

2.  Why does this make a difference?:  Capacity in breathing is between 1200 and 1500ccs and can exceed that if one is tall and has larger lungs.  At rest intake of air is around 500cc.  When breathing in the shallow method in which the shoulders raise up, chances are less than 500cc intake occurs.  This means that it's possilble that less gas exchange occurs (getting rid of CO2 and bring on O2).  When the diaphram is used purposefully to draw in air and expell it, you will increase the amount of air inhaled and exhaled, thereby increasing gas exchange  This is all really good.

3.  How can I figure out how to use my diaphragm to effectively breathe (abdominally)?  Stand in front of a mirror.  *As you're working through this exercise, keep an occasional eye on your shoulders.  Chances are your shouldes will sneak up, so you'll have to work at relaxing them.  With your feet at hip width and your left hand relaxed and at your side, spread the fingers of your right hand open: place the thumb over the area where your stomach is and your little finger down over your abdomen.  The fingers inbetween will simply lay flat. 

4.  Now, take in a deep breath.  When doing so, see if you can make your right hand move with the action of your abdomen. If this does not work, it is because you're breathing in a shallow manner and yur shoulders are moving up and down. 

5. Repeat.  Be aware of where your hand is. MAKE that part of your body (diaphragm) draw in the air, then release the air.

6.  Once you have been successful with this exercise, move onto #7.

7.  Using the techniques learned, standing, left arm at side, right hand spead and on stomach abdomen, you will vocalize the following:  HA-HA-HA-HA-HA.  Your abdomen should move in a percussive manner each time you say "HA."  (On a scale of 1-10 in volume, make sure to say HA at a 6 or 7.)

8.  When you feel comfortable with HA, move on to NA.  This will get us closer to your original goal.

Let me know how it goes.

Super Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Sunshine&Rainbows,

Thank you for providing results, which really help a great deal.  And, thank you for being patient.   We continued to pack this week for our move and somewhere in there I developed a bad infection in my right big toe, so off to the doc and on antibiotics.  If it isn't one thing it's another.

I had also misplaced my notes this week and nearly went mad with anxiety thinking I might have packed them.  You wouldn't believe where I found them: on the bottom of the pile of receipes I had pulled for this weeks' dinner menus.

Lungs and Diaphragm: You have 2 lungs which begin directly below your collar bones.  They are protected by the rib cage.  The right lung is larger than the left lung, as the left lung cradles the heart and so has made room for it.  At the bottom end of both lungs, and "stretched" from right to left, is the diaphragm.  The diaphragm is like a tough sheet of tissue that when accuated and pulled down causes the lungs to draw in air.  Conversely, when relaxed, the diaphragm allows for expiration of air.

1.  Raising the shoulders when breathing is common.  However, it results in pulling in far less "fresh air" than breathing from the abdomen.  Example: a baby on its back breathing.  What do you see?  You see the baby's abdomen going up and down and up and down.  The baby's shoulders are abslutely still.  Though no one knows why, some time in our teens we un-learn abdominal breathing and start shallow shoulder breathing.

2.  Why does this make a difference?:  Capacity in breathing is between 1200 and 1500ccs and can exceed that if one is tall and has larger lungs.  At rest intake of air is around 500cc.  When breathing in the shallow method in which the shoulders raise up, chances are less than 500cc intake occurs.  This means that it's possilble that less gas exchange occurs (getting rid of CO2 and bring on O2).  When the diaphram is used purposefully to draw in air and expell it, you will increase the amount of air inhaled and exhaled, thereby increasing gas exchange  This is all really good.

3.  How can I figure out how to use my diaphragm to effectively breathe (abdominally)?  Stand in front of a mirror.  *As you're working through this exercise, keep an occasional eye on your shoulders.  Chances are your shouldes will sneak up, so you'll have to work at relaxing them.  With your feet at hip width and your left hand relaxed and at your side, spread the fingers of your right hand open: place the thumb over the area where your stomach is and your little finger down over your abdomen.  The fingers inbetween will simply lay flat. 

4.  Now, take in a deep breath.  When doing so, see if you can make your right hand move with the action of your abdomen. If this does not work, it is because you're breathing in a shallow manner and yur shoulders are moving up and down. 

5. Repeat.  Be aware of where your hand is. MAKE that part of your body (diaphragm) draw in the air, then release the air.

6.  Once you have been successful with this exercise, move onto #7.

7.  Using the techniques learned, standing, left arm at side, right hand spead and on stomach abdomen, you will vocalize the following:  HA-HA-HA-HA-HA.  Your abdomen should move in a percussive manner each time you say "HA."  (On a scale of 1-10 in volume, make sure to say HA at a 6 or 7.)

8.  When you feel comfortable with HA, move on to NA.  This will get us closer to your original goal.

Let me know how it goes.

@sfnative

Thank you, for taking time out of your busy schedule and finding the recipe for voices, perfect place for it.

The heat and humidity has had me feeling like a hermit!

Ouch on the toe, I broke mine awhile back jumping over a culvert.

I hope yours heals fast and completely.

My husband has been staying home and sorta driving me nuts!

Now he is at the store picking up boxes to pack some clutter we have collected over the years.

He is always looking for a project, he has to be doing something all the time!

Listen I am not complaining, he cooks, cleans, does the laundry and whatever else that he can find to do! (not all the time) I couldn't let that happen, would just make me feel bad & like I did not contribute! hee hee HA HA

I printed out the exercise and will let you know, be patient with me also.

Mahalo.

Take care of your self so you can take care of others ~sunshine&rainbows