Valued Contributor

Re: VIDAL SASSOON, GENIUS OF HAIR!

According to Wiki, one of his great quotes is: "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary." That is brilliant!

Honored Contributor

Wow, @cimeranrose, great quote-- and he really lived it out, too!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Is there anyone today on the level of Sassoon? He really was amazing!

Honored Contributor

Gosh, that is such a good question, @Sweet_Serenity.  I'm trying to think of anyone who might have had the innovation, the breadth of influence, that he had, and am coming up empty.  At his height he was absolutely a household name, and was widely quoted and interviewed constantly....  People in the beauty world seem to all know him and pay tribute to his accomplishment.

Part of his revolution seems to be that prior to him, people depended so much more on going to the hairdresser, having a "set",  getting a comb-out, getting the hair teased into desired shape, etc.

Of course that still went on, but now people had the extra option of his trademark precision cutting that allowed more wash and wear hair.  It wasn't just the short geometric cut that he developed, he also revived and revitalized the bob, and just had a whole new attitude toward hair.

His wife Beverly had the trademark Sassoon cut, and looked so chic!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Brilliantly explained! Indeed so true, My hairstyle version of the bob, beauty is wash and wear. Omy, couldn't deal with being a slave to my hair.