Trusted Contributor

"Modern farmhouse" decorating?

I love the look.  I see a lot of it on the home makeover shows.  Do any of you have this look in your house?

Honored Contributor

Re: "Modern farmhouse" decorating?

[ Edited ]

I personally don't, but I did go through an Open House last year that had a remodeled Modern Farmhouse, and it was gorgeous. I loved it!!!!! I did not buy it, I was just looking out of curiosity, but it was really pretty and it was modern, but not so much that it lost the Farmhouse character......Also they ended up selling the home over asking price after receiving several offers!

Honored Contributor

I appreciate a 2018 country look.Warm & homey. However, I have never been a fan of shabby chic or the Fixer Upper look of old rusty stuff on your walls. So "farmhouse" at least as it's done on Fixer Upper is not my taste.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love it when it is done well. What I like about it is you can add other elements to the look to make it coastal, industrial, modern, cottage etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the look a lot, too, with all those pale, pickled kinds of white tones, simple wall hangings, galvanized metal and chicken wire odds & ends.  I'm getting ready to redecorate a bedroom and do an complete bathroom overhaul but I'll probably stick with something more traditional.  As much as I like the modern farmhouse style, it wouldn't go with the rest of the house.  Same thing for the kitchen.  I'd  like to add some shiplap to one wall but I don't think it would look right against the rest of the decor.  Oh, to have unlimited funds, then I could redo the whole house to match!

ETA - another thing to consider is that traditional never goes out of style.  Modern Farmhouse is likely just another fad the same way all the ruffles, ribbons, baskets, rafia swags, slate blues and mauvey pinks of the "country" look were back in the 80's and 90's.  

Trusted Contributor

I love this look.  From inheriting my families 1870 homestead to acquiring pieces from our parents that have passed on, I'm able to achieve this without any money. It's homey warm and inviting. Best of all I love pieces that tell a story. More than 1 person has fallen asleep in the family room.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I see in TV, ads, and magazines that claims to be 'farmhouse' modern or otherwise, is anything but what real farmhouse living is. 

And I don't care for it at all. It all looks the same, it is some odd mix of weathered and rusty (not that there is anything wrong with those) with sleek and modern, and in my opinion, just looks like someone began a decor overhaul, but didn't get finished with choosing and implementing their new style (which ever way they were going). 

It seems to have become a huge business and everyone is on the bandwagon, but it can move into the past pretty quickly for all I'm interested in it.

Honored Contributor

I really dislike anything farmhouse.  Especially the way the fixer upper people do it.  I am a traditional with updates one myself.  A little English, a little French mixed with more clean modern lines as well.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains personal information

Honored Contributor

Very handsome, @LilacTree!  So nice of you to post pictures.