Esteemed Contributor

Re: Using 'they' or 'them'??

@missy1

@missy1 wrote:

Some places require this. Unless it's a legal issue, then I will continue to address people how I want: using: she, he,Mr., Mrs, female, girl etc.

http://genderfluidsupport.tumblr.com/gender

Here's a list of all the genders.

From what I understand, it,s suppose to become legal and you can get sued if you don,t address ,it, sorry they properly.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I don,t care what you want to be or what you feel you are, but keep our English language normal and sane , because the world is definitely getting crazy.  Nuts.  I can,t believe it.  They also want to take man out of woman, and Manhatten, or anything with man in it.  

Also you are to ask a babies permission before you touch your child to change their diaper.  The baby needs to tell you it,s ok.  I think it,s crying a lot when wet tells you it wants it,s diaper changed.  They can,t speak yet. These are the crazy things that are going on.  In all my years on this earth,  I have never heard so many nutty statements.  I heard all this stuff and more on the news in the last few months.  

@qvcadditionI forget the name of the s*x educator who said this but she clarified that of course babies cannot answer.  This hit the internet last spring(?) and took off with misquotes and misinterpretations of what she said.

I believe she was talking about teaching children response but knows the baby wouldn't respond.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@petepetey wrote:

My college age child told me a friend of hers was traveling in Europe this week.

I asked 'who is she traveling with'?  She then told me she doesn't use 'she' anymore

it's 'they or 'them'.

This one is hard for me to wrap my head around. Why deny your gender? Is that a bad thing?  They or them is plural so are you speaking about one person or a group?

How can I understand this?

@petepetey  Correct grammar is not taught in schools now because the teachers were not taught it. 

WRONG!

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@missy1

@missy1 wrote:

Some places require this. Unless it's a legal issue, then I will continue to address people how I want: using: she, he,Mr., Mrs, female, girl etc.

http://genderfluidsupport.tumblr.com/gender

Here's a list of all the genders.

From what I understand, it,s suppose to become legal and you can get sued if you don,t address ,it, sorry they properly.

If that is true, then anyone who misuses a pronoun (and believe me it happens all the time) should get sued as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DS attends a very large university.

He explained the use of "they" one day last summer when he was home. He referred to a girl he knew in high school as "they." Of course he had to explain all of it to me, and it took a while. It is not simple. I knew her too, and I still talk about her as "she." She doesn't come up in conversation very often, but I know this is something I'll have to deal with from now on.

It's amazing what the professors in science classes there teach - gender neutrality, fairness/equality, and politics. Let's hope they get some science in there too!  Smiley Wink

ETA: DH and I were out to dinner one night. Our server had a unisex name, short hair and glasses. DH was not used to anything like this. He didn't know whether to say "he" or "she," so he didn't talk! I just kept using the name, telling another server, "Alex said Alex would get it for us." I didn't know any other way to do it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You could have said, Alex said they'd get it for us, thanks. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I personally like the folded-arms-pursed-lips-foot-stamp of,

“I'll have none of it” posted upthread.

🤣

Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this has already been discussed but I think this has more to do with today's gender confusion than with grammar.

Respected Contributor

My first introduction to a nonbinary person was when I watched a show called "Billions" in which one of the characters identified as such.  I believe they are nonbinary in real life too.  I admit when I tried to explain this to someone who asked about it,  I needed some practice time to get used to using that term out of respect.

The word in this instance has nothing to do with grammar but an alteration in the language.  A language that can't or won't change, dies.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~