Respected Contributor

Re: Using debit cards as credit cards

NEVER, EVER EVER use a debit card.  Debit cards have no limit.  If someone gets their hands on yours, they can wipe you out.  If you use a credit card you are only responsible for a certain dollar amount.  If you have a debit card to get money from your bank, ask your bank for an ATM only card.....not a debit card.

Respected Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

I never use my debit card as a credit card. Credit cards offer fraud protection (without tying up your cash while they investigate), they offer purchase protection on most items, and you can earn points depending on the card. I earn $20-40 every month just on my usual purchases. Also, I'm one of those neurotic people who balance my checkbook after every purchase, so it's a big time saver for me to just pay one bill online each month. I pay as I go and I never pay a finance charge.

@Love to Run  I must be neurotic too, because I balance my checkbook after every payment also.  My account is with a Savings & Loan, so I don't even have a debit card, and I agree I'd rather use a credit card anyway.  Sometimes being a little old fashioned works better!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

My debit card was compromised in May twice by the same person....

Since that  happened I am  now ONLY using just credit cards for all purchases....getting paid points that are like cash back👍👍👍🤑🤑🤑....

No more worry about someone robbing me of all my money.  I PAY THE CARDS OFF FULLY EACH MONTH.  works out the same...less worry! 

Respected Contributor

I always shread debit cards.  I refuse to use them.   in January we bought some insurance for our motorcycle after our factory insurance ended.  We bought it though the dealer we bought the bike from. We go no proof the insurance was purchased except the charge on our bill. They told us it would show up on our vin an any dealer if we needed repair. Last month the dealer closed up fast.  We went to the local dealer here in town to see if it showed up on our vin number, NO insurance.    We came home and called the CC company and luckily we were within the time limit for refunds by 11 days.   They reversed the charge and we were refunded $1,600.00.   If we would have used a debit, what would our outcome be?????

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

I never use my debit card as a credit card. Credit cards offer fraud protection (without tying up your cash while they investigate), they offer purchase protection on most items, and you can earn points depending on the card. I earn $20-40 every month just on my usual purchases. Also, I'm one of those neurotic people who balance my checkbook after every purchase, so it's a big time saver for me to just pay one bill online each month. I pay as I go and I never pay a finance charge.

----------------

I was told by a banker friend...never use debit card as charge card!  It is much easier for theft by using debit card.  Some people have been wiped out by this type of theft!  Credit card has better protection in stopping unwanted purchses.

@corita.    My bank, BofA, offers the same protection for debit cards as it does for credit card.   

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I use a special debit card I have for shopping on line as credit. it is attached to a special checking account dh and i have. we carry low balance in that account. if we need anything on line i use that card as a credit card. if the bad guys try to get anymore money for getting ahold of this account, they will get very little money.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

----------------

I was told by a banker friend...never use debit card as charge card!  It is much easier for theft by using debit card.  Some people have been wiped out by this type of theft!  Credit card has better protection in stopping unwanted purchses.

All banks are not the same.  As several of us said on the other thread, some banks protect debit cards in the same way as credit cards.   Everyone needs to check with their own banks.  I wouldn't use my debit card if I could be wiped out, and I know for sure that I can't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Travone wrote:

NEVER, EVER EVER use a debit card.  Debit cards have no limit.  If someone gets their hands on yours, they can wipe you out.  If you use a credit card you are only responsible for a certain dollar amount.  If you have a debit card to get money from your bank, ask your bank for an ATM only card.....not a debit card.

That's not necessarily true.  It depends on the bank.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

I use a special debit card I have for shopping on line as credit. it is attached to a special checking account dh and i have. we carry low balance in that account. if we need anything on line i use that card as a credit card. if the bad guys try to get anymore money for getting ahold of this account, they will get very little money.

@viva923   ^^^^^ Yes!  This!

This is what I do when I travel out of the country.  I put a limited amount on my "travel" debit card, so even if it is compromised only the amount I have allotted to it can be taken.  Always notify the card company when I'm away.  My home is protected by means other than lil' ole' me standing guard.!

It has exactly the identical protections as my credit cards.

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THERE IS NO LIMIT ON THE AMOUNT THAT CAN BE TAKEN FROM A DEBIT CARD?  Of course there is a limit - it's the amount of the value of the card and what it can access.  Of course if it is attached to your savings or similar it can be a big hit, but a wise person would put a small amount on it and make sure it is not in any connected with checking, savings, stocks, money market, etc.  My Debit card is not even attached to my regular bank.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

i dont know about others, but i only keep a relatively small amount in my checking account in general. i dont have it attached to my savings account. i wont be "wiped out" because a checking account is not the safest place to keep a lot of money.

once i have had an $800 theater ticket in london charged onto my card. i always call my credit card companies and bank and set a travel notice on my account with the dates. that $800 was put back into my account in less than 24 hours and my debit card was replaced.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein