Honored Contributor

Using debit cards as credit cards

So, a week or so ago, we had a discussion regarding using debit cards as credit cards.  My debit card can be used as either and I do sometimes use it as a credit card.  For no particular reason.  Yesterday, I made a $299.00 bill online with that card and I clicked "credit card" and that took me to the creditor's bank to fill out some information.  No problem or so I thought.  Early this morning, I tried to pay dues for a professional organization with the card and the transaction wouldn't go through, the card was denied.  I checked the balances of my savings and checking accounts and there's was no problem so I thought the problem might be related to that $299 credit payment and I was right.  My bank saw that payment and put a hold on my account because it was an "unusual" transaction for me.  Once I called and verified that I had made that payment and the amount, they took the hold off my account.  It took about 20 minutes.  I asked the cs rep why and all she would say is that they are being very careful when debit cards are used as credit cards for online payments and purchase.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Using debit cards as credit cards

I have a debit card but don't use it as a credit card.

We would be safer it we got rid of the debit card & only used a credit card.

I would never use a debit card for purchases online.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happens all the time with our corporate credit cards.  If the fraud department picks it up as an unusual charge it gets flagged and the account put on hold.  When ever some of our people travel we need to alert the bank of the locations so the charges will go through without a problem.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I never use my debit card as a credit card. Credit cards offer fraud protection (without tying up your cash while they investigate), they offer purchase protection on most items, and you can earn points depending on the card. I earn $20-40 every month just on my usual purchases. Also, I'm one of those neurotic people who balance my checkbook after every purchase, so it's a big time saver for me to just pay one bill online each month. I pay as I go and I never pay a finance charge.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

That's interesting I've never encountered that problem; I use my debit card as a credit card 99% of the time; just a personal preference for me to only use my pin at my bank's atm machine.  When I go out of town depending on where I let my bank know because hubby and I had an issue when we were making purchases out of town and the bank didn't let it go through we had to call the bank and go through this series of security steps meanwhile there was a line of people behind us that had to be moved to another register.

Super Contributor

But if your account gets put on hold, shouldn't you be told?  Finding out after the fact isn't good as far as I'm concerned.  I only use my bank debit card when making purchases online at the grocery store and I want cash back.  Could use it as a regular credit card but I don't.  I have another credit card which I use strictly for online credit purchases.  

Honored Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

That's interesting I've never encountered that problem; I use my debit card as a credit card 99% of the time; just a personal preference for me to only use my pin at my bank's atm machine.  When I go out of town depending on where I let my bank know because hubby and I had an issue when we were making purchases out of town and the bank didn't let it go through we had to call the bank and go through this series of security steps meanwhile there was a line of people behind us that had to be moved to another register.

@Luvitorleaveit1

Same thing happened to us. Good thing we had plenty of cash on us.

Now we call the credit union before we leave town. I don't really like anyone knowing we are not home but this way they know someone else is not using our cards.

They also know the credit card transactions will only be for gas & hotels.

If we use it for a larger purchase while gone I always call & let them know ahead of time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

I never use my debit card as a credit card. Credit cards offer fraud protection (without tying up your cash while they investigate), they offer purchase protection on most items, and you can earn points depending on the card. I earn $20-40 every month just on my usual purchases. Also, I'm one of those neurotic people who balance my checkbook after every purchase, so it's a big time saver for me to just pay one bill online each month. I pay as I go and I never pay a finance charge.

----------------

I was told by a banker friend...never use debit card as charge card!  It is much easier for theft by using debit card.  Some people have been wiped out by this type of theft!  Credit card has better protection in stopping unwanted purchses.

Honored Contributor

All of these discussions makes me really think about how I use my cards. For me it's strictly cc for all online shopping, but I my debit for in person purchases no matter what they are. Gas however is always cash. Ever since chips entered the cards (and both cards have chips now) I'm 99% needing to enter pin. It's very rare to not need to plug it in.

Only once did we have a delay in cc processing on vaca in the Caribbean, that was SO long ago and there was plenty of time to contact the bank for the charge to be approved, we weren't worried nor was the hotel.

DH uses only his debit for in person purchases. Anything he needs or wants online I purchase on my card. He pays me back is they're big bucks and I'm not feeling dropping $200 on a pr of work boots for him LOL!!! He has a cc but rarely uses it, rarely.

Honored Contributor

@PickyCindy wrote:

But if your account gets put on hold, shouldn't you be told?  Finding out after the fact isn't good as far as I'm concerned.  I only use my bank debit card when making purchases online at the grocery store and I want cash back.  Could use it as a regular credit card but I don't.  I have another credit card which I use strictly for online credit purchases.  

The only way the bank would have to tell me is by mail and I just might receive a notice in the mail informing me of the hold but that will take days.  Everything was all squared away in less than 12 hours for me.  Most people who have debit cards use them on a daily basis, no one carries cash anymore so the customer who has a situation like mine will know long before a bank letter arrives.  That's assuming they even send out a letter, I don't think they do.