Respected Contributor

Re: Using Power of Attorney to deposit a check

The situation you describe is exactly why POA exists. I was POA for my mom. I brought the legal forms to the bank and they added me onto her account. I had checks made with my name on it as POA to avoid any problems.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gidgetgh

"his bank but his bank seems to have issues with even the simplest transaction"

"It's always an adventure when I go there."

You need to have a chit chat w/the bank manager.

@Mz iMac- I've had several chit chats with the manager.  Fortunately, his pension and social security are direct deposited and we don't write many checks from there (I'm on the account).  It's when I try to deposit checks (from sale of my parent's house, stock dividends, car sale, bank check from closing out an account at another bank) that it seems to shake them off their axis.  

The branch I go to is literally right up the street from my house.  I've tried another branch also and it was an adventure also.

But I'll definitely talk to the branch manager on this if I need to and get an answer on how to deposit these.  Hopefully my dad will be able to sign them.  I'll get it done.  Was just looking for experiences last night.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Jannabelle wrote:

Having worked in small and very large banks for over 40 years, I wouldn't advise you to just sign your father's name and deposit the check. The bank needs a copy of your Power of Attorney and they may want you to sign one of their forms/signature cards. I'd encourage you to do that because there may be a time where you need to do more than just make deposits to his accounts. Be glad that the bank is "picky" about these things....you'd rather have them watch out for your father's accounts. Believe me, they have reasons for their security.

@jannabelle1- thanks.  My sister and I are already on the signature cards for all of his banks.  I sign all of his outgoing checks.  He's in assisted living and I keep his checkbook with me.  But I do have him endorse checks I receive for him and then deposit them in his account.

Honored Contributor

You just sign the check and write power of attorney for -----. I would also take the POA paper with me to the bank the first time. The attorney should have explained to you how you & your father exactly how you use the POA when it was done.Shame on him if he didn't. When you write any checks from his acct. you sign them the same way -- your name and power of attorney for ---.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Thanks everyone. If he can't endorse them tomorrow, I'll head to the bank Monday, armed with the POA document and see how it goes.  It's always an adventure when I go there. 

If that is the case, I'd find another bank.  Banks can be EXTREMELY helpful to their customers.  And SHOULD be!  Get to know the people there.

If it were MY bank, I'd change in a minute.  But he's 87, has banked there for years, has his pension and social security direct deposited there and I just don't want to go through all the hassle to change everything at this point.  We write very few checks from the account but I do deposit fairly frequently.  He has an account at a few other banks and I could deposit these checks in one of those, but we like the money going into his checking account.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

Usually there isn't a problem with depositing money in the account.

The one thing I will add is that if your father is in agreement and if he is able to make a trip to the bank with you depending on his health in the future....you might consider adding your name to the bank account as a joint account.

Our attorney advised me to do that with my mother and I can't tell you how helpful it was!  Any bank business I needed to do for Mom when she wasn't able was no problem, because my name was on the account.  Even though I was POA, it still made it much less cumbersome conducting bank business. 

Just a thought and good luck with the bank.

@pitdakota- thanks.  My sister and I are already on the accounts he has in his different banks.  We're also on the safe deposit signature card also.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You just sign the check and write power of attorney for -----. I would also take the POA paper with me to the bank the first time. The attorney should have explained to you how you & your father exactly how you use the POA when it was done.Shame on him if he didn't. When you write any checks from his acct. you sign them the same way -- your name and power of attorney for ---.

@151949- thanks.  We did the POA 5 1/2 years ago.  I don't remember if the attorney said anything.  And my sister and I are on all the signature cards for his account and safe deposit box so we're good there.

Honored Contributor

Does your POA allow you to do financial transactions?  If yes, take the POA doc and checks to the bank and ask them.  

Honored Contributor

@Jannabelle wrote:

Having worked in small and very large banks for over 40 years, I wouldn't advise you to just sign your father's name and deposit the check. The bank needs a copy of your Power of Attorney and they may want you to sign one of their forms/signature cards. I'd encourage you to do that because there may be a time where you need to do more than just make deposits to his accounts. Be glad that the bank is "picky" about these things....you'd rather have them watch out for your father's accounts. Believe me, they have reasons for their security.

@jannabelle1- I understand what you're saying, and I don't think THE RULES would be a problem to caregivers at all IF they were CONSISTENTLY APPLIED, and if banks didn't switch identities as often as they do in my neighborhood, and if staff did not change as fast as the human eye can blink.

ITA with your statements about the security issue and I DID respect and understand the efforts to keep my mother's finances safe, but no matter what documentation was on file, as soon as someone new showed up as a teller or VP or whatever, I'd be back at square one, and have to hrough the whole busness over again. Definitely met a whole gang of wonderful employees in banks, but then I'd wind up with "the NEW GUY....."

Valued Contributor

I didn't realize depositing a check could be such a problem. My husband has worked out of state for years and his paycheck is mailed to the house. I just write for deposit only, his name and the account # Thank goodness I've never had any problems.

No idea why the company is a dinosaur and doesn't offer direct deposit but sure wish they would.