Esteemed Contributor

Re: Using Power of Attorney to deposit a check

Just sign his name. Banks don't care as long as you are giving them money. I do this all the time for my 90 year old aunt. They never question it.

Contributor

If the checks are made out to him and are being put into his account and you have his account number, you can write for deposit only and put the account #. No cash back. You can even deposit cash into someone's acct if you have their acct #. They will not give you any info, not even acct balance. But you need to get that POA on file at the bank in case something happens. You would be able to pay his bills and other things and they will not question you. If a check is made out to 2 people and you are cashing it both people should be present with ID, but again, if you are depositing a check made out to 2 people into an acct in both names, one person can make the deposit. Just keep records, mostly for family and probate questions. 

Honored Contributor

This seems a tad bizarre .... they give you a hard time putting money IN the bank?    Why would that be a problem?

I can understand stricter policies taking money OUT of the account, but making a deposit should be a breeze. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

This seems a tad bizarre .... they give you a hard time putting money IN the bank?    Why would that be a problem?

I can understand stricter policies taking money OUT of the account, but making a deposit should be a breeze. 

@Tinkrbl44- yep. Bizarre but true. We closed out a money market a few months ago that had been at another bank. Of course, the bank gave us a bank check for the funds. Off we went to deposit the check into the checking account. My dad had endorsed the check. I filled out the deposit slip. He was in the car with my husband and me.  We went to the drive in and were there about 20 minutes. Back and forth the teller went from the window. Staring at her screen. Off to parts unknown and then back. Back and forth. I hit the call button and she came back and I said "what is the problem?"  To which she said in a very rude voice "where exactly did you get this check"?  Say what??  We got it from the bank where we'd closed out the account obviously. I should have told her that a guy down the street was selling fake checks out of his truck and we got it there. Instead I said "that's none of your concern". Probably not my best answer, but I was highly insulted and that's what popped out. . She deposited it and we took my dad back to assisted living. 

My husband said "you need to go back up there" so I did. Went inside and got the branch manager. She was familiar with the transaction and was appalled that their employee had demanded to know where I got the check. I told her that if I was EVER treated that way again I was calling their corporate office and one of our local tv stations. In the over 20 minutes it took them to do the deposit, they had pulled up my dads account and studied it!  He's banked there (huge bank) since 1984. Has never had a check returned, plenty of money in the account and we weren't asking for cash back. Straight deposit. They were just really obnoxious to be honest. The branch manager apologized profusely.  I said that I didn't understand the problem. Put a hold on the funds if you want, but don't insinuate that the check might not be real. 

They've also questioned me on much lesser amounts. I went to a different branch to deposit $1,200 in stock dividend checks. My dad had endorsed the checks. I'd also written "for deposit" and put the account number on the back of the checks, under his signature. Went to the drive in. The teller wanted to know who I was.  Was I also on the account. Uh, yes, but that shouldn't matter.  He endorsed the checks and the account is his. Our next door neighbor should have been able to make that deposit if I'd asked her to. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Seems like bank policies differ considerably.   I once spoke to a gal (at a client's office) who went to open a checking account and was denied because her credit score was too low!    They flat out said that they didn't want her!   

Honored Contributor

@ballyk wrote:
I didn't realize depositing a check could be such a problem. My husband has worked out of state for years and his paycheck is mailed to the house. I just write for deposit only, his name and the account # Thank goodness I've never had any problems.

No idea why the company is a dinosaur and doesn't offer direct deposit but sure wish they would.

I have not signed some before. (ATM deposits) There will be no problems, unless someone complains about it.

Honored Contributor

I have deposited many checks for both of my daughters by writing "for deposit only" on the back, and completing their deposit slip.   Never had an issue putting their money into their account.    

Honored Contributor

Excuse this if it has been mentioned, I did not read all the comments!

All you have to do is write on the back of the check "For Deposit Only" and Acct.# plus a deposit slip!  No endorsement is required!

I have worked at a bank plus have worked doing payroll, and have done this many times in my lifetime!

Honored Contributor

I was a bank manager and none of this makes any sense to me.

Even if you don't have a deposit slip, which in this case you do, the teller can look up the bank account number and put checks or cash in an account.

With another bank's check, the teller may call the other bank to confirm who and the amount of a check.

The bank has the right to call another bank to make sure the funds are there.

Esteemed Contributor

@ballyk wrote:
I didn't realize depositing a check could be such a problem. My husband has worked out of state for years and his paycheck is mailed to the house. I just write for deposit only, his name and the account # Thank goodness I've never had any problems.

No idea why the company is a dinosaur and doesn't offer direct deposit but sure wish they would.

I was surprised also when my bank askd for ID when I went through the Drive Through to just deposit a check. But, they did; they wanted photo ID. So, all banks have their own rules. And they want them followed.