Respected Contributor

Re: Using Power of Attorney to deposit a check

Does his bank by chance have a mobile app? Many of the chains do now, and they let you take a picture of the check (front and back) and deposit it that way. If you endorsed the checks and deposited them that way, you wouldn't even have to deal with the folks at the branch.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh  Hello.  You should not have a problem as others have said.

Bring with you the signed POW; the bank may want one for their files.

Endorse the back with your name followed by "POA."

Valued Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Most banks, if not all, have their own internal POA forms, which they may require you to complete in addition to presenting your own legal POA document.  So once they have their own form on file, you shouldn't have any future issues with any kind of transaction at that bank.  The authorization will be in their computer for future reference.

In the meantime, they shouldn't have any problem with a deposit into your father's account.

Yes!  After the bank has the POA on file, the person who has the POA can make deposits, withdrawals, open accounts and even apply for loans in the name of the person for whom they have power of attorney, as long as that person is alive.  Once the person for whom the POA was granted dies, the POA is no longer valid.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

"his bank but his bank seems to have issues with even the simplest transaction"

"It's always an adventure when I go there."

You need to have a chit chat w/the bank manager.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Having worked in small and very large banks for over 40 years, I wouldn't advise you to just sign your father's name and deposit the check. The bank needs a copy of your Power of Attorney and they may want you to sign one of their forms/signature cards. I'd encourage you to do that because there may be a time where you need to do more than just make deposits to his accounts. Be glad that the bank is "picky" about these things....you'd rather have them watch out for your father's accounts. Believe me, they have reasons for their security.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh If you have one of his deposit slips and write for deposit only on the back of the checks, there will be no problem.

You don't need a POA to deposit checks.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Thanks everyone. If he can't endorse them tomorrow, I'll head to the bank Monday, armed with the POA document and see how it goes.  It's always an adventure when I go there. 

If that is the case, I'd find another bank.  Banks can be EXTREMELY helpful to their customers.  And SHOULD be!  Get to know the people there.

Valued Contributor

The attorney that assisted you in drawing up the POA papers should be answering your questions. Every situation is different as are state laws.  Everything needs to be addressed perfectly for things to progress smoothly for both you and your Father.

Respected Contributor

Usually there isn't a problem with depositing money in the account.

The one thing I will add is that if your father is in agreement and if he is able to make a trip to the bank with you depending on his health in the future....you might consider adding your name to the bank account as a joint account.

Our attorney advised me to do that with my mother and I can't tell you how helpful it was!  Any bank business I needed to do for Mom when she wasn't able was no problem, because my name was on the account.  Even though I was POA, it still made it much less cumbersome conducting bank business. 

Just a thought and good luck with the bank.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

When I signed for my mom on her accounts, I signed my name, followed by "as attorney in fact."