Honored Contributor

Re: Updating Driver's License to "REAL ID??"

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:
So, I dont need the "REAL ID" card to vote?
I can continue to use the "Old Driver's license," as long as it's not expired?
Right. You don't nneed a REAL ID for voting.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

What planet do you come from? They have been talking about REAL ID'S for many years. The date keeps getting pushed back. My sister and I were talking about getting one for her just in case she wants to go on vacation with us this summer. She has a state ID but not a REAL ID. I have a passport so I'm all set.

~~~~~~~

OUCH! That smartz, @chrystaltree Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn- Please note, if you upgrade to a Real ID/Driver's license at your local DMV, you will need to bring proof of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, social security, it depends on what your state requires, you may want to contact DMV prior to visiting and ask so that you have all of the required documents to take with you if you are applying for a Real ID/Driver's license.

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidnwrote:

Just announced, DHS has extended the deadline to May 7, 2025

This the 1st I've heard abt a "REAL ID" (from the DMV)

Anybody have any info on this?

Required to update Driver's License to this??

TIA

@MakeUpMaidn- you didn't say which state you are from. Each state could have different requirements. You really should check your State's DMV site to make sure if you need it or not.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had mine for years. It has a STAR in the upper right corner and that's the only difference. I did have to prove my identity, no big deal. Who knows what we will need it for in the future? Maybe to cross from state to state LOL

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidnwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

What planet do you come from? They have been talking about REAL ID'S for many years. The date keeps getting pushed back. My sister and I were talking about getting one for her just in case she wants to go on vacation with us this summer. She has a state ID but not a REAL ID. I have a passport so I'm all set.

~~~~~~~

It was rude and uncalled for, but it seems to be her style.

Respected Contributor

Thanks to y'all

I want to make sure I can:

1) Vote

2) Enter Federal Bldgs

Dont plan on travel, but what's left of my family, are all spread out. Is a consideration.

And Birth Certificate? Ya got me where that landed, after my last move. So probably would be good for me to send for another one, anyway..

THANKS for all this info,

Now I know where to look, what to look for, why I'd look, & plan for next step. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

My husband has one. Not that he flys much now that his Mom has passed and there is no need to fly to San Diego....he just wanted one. I NEVER would fly, and would never get one.

Esteemed Contributor

@MakeUpMaidnwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

~~~~~~~

And uncessary

@MakeUpMaidn

@chrystaltree

Esteemed Contributor

I have no plans to fly, but! If that changes, I'll just show 'em my DL and my CCW Permit. If that don't cut it? I will de-plane, or whatever step where they say, "Ah, NO"!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)