Honored Contributor

Re: Updating Driver's License to "REAL ID??"

@MakeUpMaidnTo my understanding, the next time you renew your DL, you will automatically get the upgrade.

Respected Contributor

Wow! All this just caught me by surprise.

Our "Covid Phase" has forced me "out of the loop" from the oftentimes discovery addt'l info, or changes.

Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

I have had a Real ID for quite some time. In Michigan we easily have the option for a Driver's license which can be used in place of a passport to drive into Canada. Maybe other states have that option as well. My drivers license has a Star on the top right corner indicating its a Real ID. You possibly could already have one and not know it.

Esteemed Contributor

Your real ID does not take the place of your passport. You will always need a passport to go international, anywhere out of the US. The real ID is for domestic flghts only. I don't know the state requirements where you live but I'm pretty sure eventually we will all have to have a real ID instead of your regular license, that's why they keep extending the deadline. We got ours at least a couple years ago. We had to show our birth certificate, SS card and a "bill" addressed to each of us, ie: cable bill. It just took a little bit longer to achieve it rather than just a license renewal. Oh and FYI, we were able to do this at AAA.

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidnyou do not need RealID to vote, only to fly within the US or to enter a Federal Building. A passport will also suffice for flying, not sure about entering Federal Buildings. I just didn't want to risk losing my passport when I was traveling.

-

I finally got mine back in May when my DL expired. I tried before, but there was ony one faciity in my County and it was aso the facility where they did testing for Drivers Licenses. I stood in line and got a number. Then, when it was finally my turn to go, I had forgotten my Social Security Card, so I said (well I can't say what I said), but I went to the facility 10 minutes from my house and just renewed my DL there.

-

They have exteneded the deadline several times. Around here they're called StarID. There should be a website for your state that tells you what documents can be used to verify you.

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidnThis has been around for a long time. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. It's been well publicized and on local news for a long time.

Honored Contributor

I carry my passport wherever "ID" is required...because there is someone else with the EXACT SAME NAME.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkidswrote:

@MakeUpMaidnThis has been around for a long time. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. It's been well publicized and on local news for a long time.

~~~~~~~~~

@Love my grandkids

You & me both!

I'm surprised I havent heard of this either.

Honored Contributor

What planet do you come from? They have been talking about REAL ID'S for many years. The date keeps getting pushed back. My sister and I were talking about getting one for her just in case she wants to go on vacation with us this summer. She has a state ID but not a REAL ID. I have a passport so I'm all set.

Respected Contributor

WHEW!

I just *KNEW* y'all on this Forum would know abt this!

Y'all know everything!! Woman Happy

Thank you!