Frequent Contributor

Re: Update - prayers for son lung / heart transplant evaluation process

Amiracleneeded.....I read your update last night. I can't imagine what you are all going through. Know that your son and family are in my prayers. I know you are so busy and consumed with so much but I just wanted to suggest a daily devotion book that a friend gave my last year on my birthday. I have bought it for several people. It's called Jesus Calling. It's short devotions and 2-3 scriptures. Just thought I'd share because it has been helpful to me. God bless all involved in your sons case.... Lifting you up.
Honored Contributor

(((amiraclene­eded)))

I'm just now seeing this. I can't begin to imagine what you, your son, and your entire family are feeling. I want to offer my prayers. Life is so precious and so fleeting. I have faith you're in good hands, and in my belief system that means God's hands. Please remember to take good care of yourself, because you need to be strong and well, too.

As mom2twocutes said beautifully, "lifting you up."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Amiracleneeded: I am praying that you get just that, the miracle that you, your DS and your family need at this moment. If you could see all of the posters on this thread typing out their responses, I am sure you would be astounded at all of the tears that flow. Blessings to you today!!!

“You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.” Psalm 56:8 (NLT)

Esteemed Contributor

...........bumping up information.....beginning from AMIRACLENEEDED: her story as the Original Poster will be seen as anyone scrolls up^^.

From>March 10th, 2015

_Naes

Esteemed Contributor

Sending good wishes to you and your son. Hope you get good news soon. Smiley Happy

Contributor

An update on my son.

They have held off presenting his case to the lung transplant board for a couple of weeks. We had his regular doctor appointments with his pulmonary and cardiologist doctors. We were hit with him seeing a Nephrologist and getting tests for his kidneys.

He may have to have a kidney transplant added to the lung transplant list presented to the board.

His doctors feel the board will ask questions about past testing levels that have to do with his kidneys /liver (creatine, alkaline phosphatase, etc.) and they want to be ready to answer all questions. They keep saying his age is on his side and the board takes that into consideration.

I could see his face when they mentioned the possibility of a kidney transplant too. He bounces back with a positive attitude quick, but that is the face he shows us.

Please keep my son in your prayers.

*They didn't mention any thing more regarding the heart.

I hope the webmaster will allow me to keep updating on this thread.

Respected Contributor

While I was hoping to see that the evaluation process was a done deal, I'm not all that surprised. It was about 6 months for DH just for a kidney. However, he was 59 and a bladder CA survivor. He had every scope, CT, MRI on multiple body systems. The transplant team at Northwestern felt that since he had CA, it would be best to remove the non functioning kidneys. He spent 5 hours on dialysis 3 days a week. He was limited to 8 oz. of liquid a day. Oh, when his bladder was removed, they took out his prostate and gall bladder. I tease him about being an empty shell of a man. 8 weeks after the kidneys were removed he developed an infection that nearly cost him his life. He developed bilateral lung abscesses and was put on a ventilator for 4 days. He had tubes and drains for days. This pushed back any hopes of transplant and we had a live donor. 10 months later the transplant was performed. This was nearly 9 years ago. I KNOW your son is going to get the organs he needs and he will thrive. Please keep the faith.
Honored Contributor

Miracleneeded--Keep the faith, it's amazing what they can do with organ transplantation nowadays. It's almost like nothing's impossible. Also, keep in mind that if you run into roadblocks, other hospitals will do cases that have been turned down previously. Don't stop believing!

Goodday--Don't know if you went to Northwestern's 50th anniversary celebration (transplants). I met Dr. Levanthal who does kidney transplants. Can't remember how long he's been practicing at NW. Wonderful man. They are all miracle workers!

Respected Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Lucky charm said:

Miracleneeded--Keep the faith, it's amazing what they can do with organ transplantation nowadays. It's almost like nothing's impossible. Also, keep in mind that if you run into roadblocks, other hospitals will do cases that have been turned down previously. Don't stop believing!

Goodday--Don't know if you went to Northwestern's 50th anniversary celebration (transplants). I met Dr. Levanthal who does kidney transplants. Can't remember how long he's been practicing at NW. Wonderful man. They are all miracle workers!

OMG! They are the best. Dr. Levanthal and Abecassis. DH now follows with Dr. Fiederwald on a yearly basis.

We were not in town. I do follow them on FB. They have another event coming up but at this time we are dealing with my elderly father who we are taking for multiple tests. He lost the site in his eye last November due to a slight stroke.

DH did a lot of research before he decided on Northwestern. Living in Chicago, he had many good options but Northwestern stood out with the highest success rate and the fact they do not use steroids unless absolutely necessary.

Regular Contributor

Just said a prayer- please dear Lord give this family strength and guidance through this process, and please dear Lord give
William life and happiness - In Jesus name I pray