Esteemed Contributor

Update on cat caught in trap.

I just checked the shelter's Facebook page.  It's a girl and she is having her leg amputated on Monday.  She's on pain meds and antibiotics.

We also got an email from the woman who rescued her.  She said the young man with her is still with the cat brushing her and removing an ticks she had. 

Since she is on pain meds and a little out of it she is letting them pet her.

There is a picture of her with her bandaged leg.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on cat caught in trap.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I just checked the shelter's Facebook page.  It's a girl and she is having her leg amputated on Monday.  She's on pain meds and antibiotics.

We also got an email from the woman who rescued her.  She said the young man with her is still with the cat brushing her and removing an ticks she had. 

Since she is on pain meds and a little out of it she is letting them pet her.

There is a picture of her with her bandaged leg.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I am so thankful that you and your daughter saved her.  I wish it would turn out that she's not feral and could be adopted, but I realize that's probably not possible.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Aw, the poor little baby! I'm glad her pain is at least less right now. We need to take care of the animals. Not harm them or let them suffer.

I'm glad you involved yourself, @CrazyKittyLvr2 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  I'm not sure she won't get adopted.  They are looking for someone to foster her or adopt her.  I think when she is better and has gotten used to people she will be fine.  

There are a couple of the strays we feed that are very friendly.  Then there are some you can't get near.

Valued Contributor

I worked in the veterinary field for a number of years & saw stories similar to these. there is good news. while the kitty recuperates she will be confined for a time & wont be able to escape her caregivers! it wont take long for her to learn she is being helped & cared for. as far as the amputated leg she will adapt quickly. animals are not @ all like people in this respect. they dont miss their limbs in the way that we do. it sounds like she is receiving wonderful care. I hope she gets a living forever home. Bless the OP for your efforts to save her.
Valued Contributor

oops...I meant a LOVING forever home!
Honored Contributor

My treasured Poly was born a feral, but the first mama she saw when she opened her eyes was me.

She screams like a banshee, but she also snuggles like a timid little mouse.

I've only lost one feral in all of the cats we've ever homed, and I lost him because he was  a TNR who had been outside on his own for so long that we were afraid he could transmit something to our indoor babies. Couldn't take the risk.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Thank you and your DD for caring about the animals. ❤️  I ABSOLUTELY believe there is a Very Special place waiting for your neighbor.

Have you talked to the people who took the kitten about Trap Neuter and Return programs in your area?  They can work very well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe  DD has taken 3 of the strays to be neutered/spayed over the last year.  She gets the ones she can get near and off they go. There are 3 or 4 more we want to take.

They all get fed twice a day and have plenty of fresh water. In the winter we fix enclosures on the porch, it has a roof. They can be warm and out of the elements. DD feels bad for them in the cold so she mixes a little warm water and cat milk so they have something warm in their stomaches.

If it were feasible they would all be indoor cats.  Even though we can't bring them all inside,  for strays they have it pretty good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Drythe  DD has taken 3 of the strays to be neutered/spayed over the last year.  She gets the ones she can get near and off they go. There are 3 or 4 more we want to take.

They all get fed twice a day and have plenty of fresh water. In the winter we fix enclosures on the porch, it has a roof. They can be warm and out of the elements. DD feels bad for them in the cold so she mixes a little warm water and cat milk so they have something warm in their stomaches.

If it were feasible they would all be indoor cats.  Even though we can't bring them all inside,  for strays they have it pretty good.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I didn’t know about your TNR experience, Good ON YOU!

The animal group may be able to help you live-trap the outliers, If not trapping them for you, they might be able to loan you a trap.

Trap tips, of course food, I’ve had good luck wrapping the trap, except the door, of course, with a blanket that has your scent on it.  I think it must make the trap less scary!

We have a TNR group, and we use those plastic doggie houses for their shelters.

Thank you for giving them a hand, you are so right, once neutered, they have a pretty good life!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras