Respected Contributor

Re: Update on Pit Bull that attacked neighbor

My son and dil adopted a dog from an animal shelter. They were vetted extensively because they were first time dog owners.

In addition to an extensive questionnaire they had to attend 3 hours of classes.

The shelter really was concerned with making a good match.

It has been a match made in heaven. Dolly is part Pomeranian, part chihuahua  and  maybe German Shepherd. She weighs 11lbs., doesn’t require a lot of exercise, perfect for apartment living. We all spoil her rotten, she is definitely a diva.

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

My son and dil adopted a dog from an animal shelter. They were vetted extensively because they were first time dog owners.

In addition to an extensive questionnaire they had to attend 3 hours of classes.

The shelter really was concerned with making a good match.

It has been a match made in heaven. Dolly is part Pomeranian, part chihuahua  and  maybe German Shepherd. She weighs 11lbs., doesn’t require a lot of exercise, perfect for apartment living. We all spoil her rotten, she is definitely a diva.

German Shepherd?  Really?  lol

I have a pomchi.  No way is a shepherd romancing her.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Maybe the information is not true.

Animal Shelters and Rescues do not adopt out dogs who are dangerous.  They put them down.  It sounds like a story you would tell someone...maybe a child so that they would not be too upset over losing their pet.

I wondered about that.

That's not necessarily true.  Most of Michael Vicks fighting dogs were not put down.  They were socialized and adopted out.  The ones that couldn't be socialized are spending the rest of their lives at Best Friends Santuary.  Depends on whether or not you live in a no-kill State. 

@Scooby Doo.  No kill state?  Which and what is a no kill state?

https://www.utahhumane.org/media/hsu-reaches-no-kill-milestone-2015

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Maybe the information is not true.

Animal Shelters and Rescues do not adopt out dogs who are dangerous.  They put them down.  It sounds like a story you would tell someone...maybe a child so that they would not be too upset over losing their pet.

I wondered about that.

That's not necessarily true.  Most of Michael Vicks fighting dogs were not put down.  They were socialized and adopted out.  The ones that couldn't be socialized are spending the rest of their lives at Best Friends Santuary.  Depends on whether or not you live in a no-kill State. 

@Scooby Doo.  No kill state?  Which and what is a no kill state?

https://www.utahhumane.org/media/hsu-reaches-no-kill-milestone-2015

Based on the linked article "no kill state" is a misnomer It is one organization that admirably has achieved what was once thought to be an unattainable goal.

However, Utah is making strides to becoming a "no kill state".  https://lawstreetmedia.com/blogs/culture-blog/utahs-no-kill-initiative-saving-pets-lives/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

this past summer we had an incident in the development where I live. a pure bred female pit attacked a neighbor. this dog is a lady who I do talk to, we are not close friends but casual friends who chat if we are both outside. this dog may be her little girl but the dog has snapped at me and my husband.

the incident this summer happened when a neighbor lady was walking by the owner of the pit house, the pit went crazy, and broke chain and attacked mode. i guess the lady was injured and taken to hospital by ambulance. i don't think she was kept overnight.

authorities were going to take the dog and put it down but owner talked authorities into keeping the dog but it is attached with many rules. the dog can not be outside by itself. must always wear a muzzle, no walking the dog either. 

I walk 6 days a week and i worry every day if i will run into an animal that will attack. I carry a cell phone and mace.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

When we adopted our cat, the Shelter  - and it was a county shelter not a pet store - gave us erroneous information about her background.  Also, despite it being their policy to check out people adopting animals, they simply gave us our cat (for an adoption fee) and to my knowledge did nothing to investigate us.

This does not give me confidence in the current situation.

@Isobel Archer. Expecting a municipal shelter to investigate every adopter is unrealistic.  They simply don't have the funds to hire staff to do this.  I've worked closely with a rescue group for 15 years.  We have potential adopter fill out an extensive application, do a home visit and interview the adopters, but we are all volunteers and don't have a huge number of dogs or adopters.

They had a sign that this was their policy - I didn't "expect" them to do anything other than what they said they were going to do.

Instead, we filled out a form, wrote a check and took the cat.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Just heard from the neighboring home owner's association that the pit bull that attacked a neighbor (putting him in the hospital) and which had previously attacked another neighbor - has been "surrendered to the Animal Shelter for rehoming."

While I admit that I am glad the dog is no long several doors down the street and I can now feel easier about walking, I don't know how I feel about this development.

I certainly hope the Shelter would inform any potential owner of the dog's history - but even if they do, how can they be sure a new owner would be able to handle the dog?

This is just not sounding right to me.

After 2 attacks by this animal, it should be put down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@maestramaestra wrote:

@Isobel Archer  The dog may be rehomed to Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, UT; this organization took in and rehabbed the fighting dogs from the Michael Vick's abuse.

Some of these dogs were able to be adopted, but most have lived out their natural lives being loved and cared for in Dogtown.

I support this animal organization and it's mission to Save Them All.

This would be a 'best scenario' for this canine.

If you read the information on their website, you will see that they do not accept aggressive animals.  They have limited resources and these animals must be housed separately. And it is very expensive to rehab them.

in addition, they do not accept every animal who needs to be there.  You almost have have to have a referral from one of their partner shelters.  

i doubt that the pit who  attacked a human being would be able to go there.  Vick’s dogs were not aggressive to humans. They were FORCED to fight and they were tortured to do so.  Big difference.  Some dogs are just aggressive by nature and should not be pets. They cannot be rehabbed as they are too dangerous.

i love dogs and help them anyway I can, but am have a clear mind when it comes to aggression.

Best Friends Animal Society does put dogs down who are sick and those that are aggressive. No Kill means they do not kill adoptable dogs who can live with others and have a good life.

More than likely, a municipality has rules and laws about aggressive dogs and they will       Ask the owner to surrender their animal if it bites someone. 

@Carmie

Our city is working hard to be a no kill municipality and what they are doing is networking with other shelters all around the U.S......For example, when one shelter had an abudance of dogs they sent them to a shelter in North Carolina that had room....And they've partnered with shelters in other cities as well.....I love how they are working together to save animals.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt   Our area does that too.  Most of our animals in our local shelters are imported from down south. They are not local animals at all.

i even read that animals from outside the US are brought here for adoption.  It’s quite a project. 

Our shelters are full of Pitt Bull and Pitt Bull mixes.  They are over run with these breeds. They are not very adoptable..some people are not allowed to own them where they live.

It is more important to prevent people from breeding their dogs.  Every day there are ads for puppies who need a home.  Right now we have more dogs than we have people who want them.

It’s not the poor dogs fault that they are born and not their fault that they are an unwelcome breed for many.

The best way to save an animal is not to let them breed.  Irresponsible people need to be held accountable for not spaying or neutering their dogs.  It should be a law everywhere that you must fix your pet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Spurt   Our area does that too.  Most of our animals in our local shelters are imported from down south. They are not local animals at all.

i even read that animals from outside the US are brought here for adoption.  It’s quite a project. 

Our shelters are full of Pitt Bull and Pitt Bull mixes.  They are over run with these breeds. They are not very adoptable..some people are not allowed to own them where they live.

It is more important to prevent people from breeding their dogs.  Every day there are ads for puppies who need a home.  Right now we have more dogs than we have people who want them.

It’s not the poor dogs fault that they are born and not their fault that they are an unwelcome breed for many.

The best way to save an animal is not to let them breed.  Irresponsible people need to be held accountable for not spaying or neutering their dogs.  It should be a law everywhere that you must fix your pet.

@Carmie

I dontate to several local shelters and when I get their news letters and seeing photos of the dogs that are available it seems they are full of pit bulls and pit bull mixes....or what I call "fad dogs" they become popular when a celebrity carries them in a purse, or they star in a movie or TV show so people "have to" get one, and then tire of the dog like it was an outdated electronic or fashion fad.......

What also irks me is these people that do not get their dogs/cats spade/neutered ....and then they dump these living animals that they dont want in community parks or neighborhoods like they are able to take care of themselves!!!!---How INHUMANE!  Several of the parks have installed camers which have helped to catch some of the culprits that dumped animals....since the cameras got a photo of their car with their license plate#.........They even passed an ordinance that only those that are registered and approved breeders with the city are allowed to breed animals...but people ignore the law and let their animals loose and they breed!!! RESPONSIBILITY seems to be a dirty word these days...and the poor animals suffer!!!  Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”