Respected Contributor

Update on Pit Bull that attacked neighbor

Just heard from the neighboring home owner's association that the pit bull that attacked a neighbor (putting him in the hospital) and which had previously attacked another neighbor - has been "surrendered to the Animal Shelter for rehoming."

While I admit that I am glad the dog is no long several doors down the street and I can now feel easier about walking, I don't know how I feel about this development.

I certainly hope the Shelter would inform any potential owner of the dog's history - but even if they do, how can they be sure a new owner would be able to handle the dog?

This is just not sounding right to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Pit Bull that attacked neighbor

Maybe the information is not true.

Animal Shelters and Rescues do not adopt out dogs who are dangerous.  They put them down.  It sounds like a story you would tell someone...maybe a child so that they would not be too upset over losing their pet.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Animal Shelters and Rescues do not adopt out dogs who are dangerous.  They put them down.  It sounds like a story you would tell someone...maybe a child so that they would not be too upset over losing their pet.

I wondered about that.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would think if the authorities were involved the dog would be put down.....but i also think many people  bring their dogs to the Shelters even after the dog may cause someone harm (without reporting the incident) and leave them there hoping for them to be adopted......................

Regular Contributor

Obviously, you want them to euthanize the dog but that's only done now as a last resort.  Apparently they feel that the dog was in the wrong home, with the wrong owner and hadn't been properly socialized or trained.  Not every person can or should have pit bull.  Hopefully, the dog will be placed with the right owner and it will be a win-win situation.  But regardless, you don't have anything to be worried about now.  

Respected Contributor

@Natasha218 wrote:

Obviously, you want them to euthanize the dog but that's only done now as a last resort.  Apparently they feel that the dog was in the wrong home, with the wrong owner and hadn't been properly socialized or trained.  Not every person can or should have pit bull.  Hopefully, the dog will be placed with the right owner and it will be a win-win situation.  But regardless, you don't have anything to be worried about now.  

I dont want to see any animal hurt or put down.  However, this is an animal who has twice attacked people - and put one in the hospital.  If the new owner is either not aware of this or even if they are, if they are unable to sufficiently calm and care for the animal, there could be a tragic end for a child or even an adult.

The dog's behavior may very well have resulted from improper treatment, however that does not mean that simple removal immediately renders the dog docile and friendly to people.

I have seen very well meaning people who have taken dogs (not pit bulls) for training and then not been able to follow through with proper commands etc.  Unless the new owner is someone the Shelter knows well, there could be trouble ahead.  That's all I'm saying.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I wondered about that.

That's not necessarily true.  Most of Michael Vicks fighting dogs were not put down.  They were socialized and adopted out.  The ones that couldn't be socialized are spending the rest of their lives at Best Friends Santuary.  Depends on whether or not you live in a no-kill State. 

Valued Contributor

When my dogs were attacked by two pitbulls and myself with scratches, as I saved my small dog (other dog had run home), the owner allowed them to be put down.  

Honored Contributor

The shelter assumes enormous liability if they allow someone to adopt a dog that has a known history of attacking people.  I hope they're well insured if the do this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I wondered about that.

That's not necessarily true.  Most of Michael Vicks fighting dogs were not put down.  They were socialized and adopted out.  The ones that couldn't be socialized are spending the rest of their lives at Best Friends Santuary.  Depends on whether or not you live in a no-kill State. 

@Scooby Doo.  No kill state?  Which and what is a no kill state?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment