Honored Contributor

I had been told that the ATM machine has to "Close Out" every transaction before the next customer can start their transaction. So it will suck the money back in, if not taken. I did not know that the time limit was 40 seconds. 

But I am sure that alot of research went into the design of the ATM machine. And how many years have ATM machines been around. There have had to be improvements through those years. So glad it worked out well, in your favor, QVCfreak.

You don't know how happy I am that you got your money back.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update - ATM

[ Edited ]

Very happy for you!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone, when I found out about the 40 second I was more at ease. I kept hoping the person behind me didn’t have enough time. I’m very happy I was able to get my money back. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have Smart TVs and we have Smart ATMs.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update - ATM

[ Edited ]

Having worked in banks for over 45years before retiring, ATMs have been designed to "notify" customers when they haven't retrieved their ATM card, money, receipt, etc. That 40 second rule is not a standard for all banks that I'm aware of, although that may have changed - could be 30 seconds at some banks, but they do notify customers. The bottom line for customers is to pay attention when you're using an ATM! My DH almost never fails to want to drive away once he gets his money, but he hasn't completed the transaction and the blasted ATM is still beeping at him!! LOL - take your money, retrieve your card and answer the screen question if you need another transaction or are through! If you are uncomfortable using your ATM card to withdraw money, then do it during the day.