Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unwanted/Spam calls - Increasing

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Spurt

I searched the AARP website and could not find anything that allowed me to opt out.

I can always write or email, but if you have a simpler solution, I'd love to know it!

Edited to add I searched for it and found the Privacy form that let's me opt out.  

Let's see if it works!

Thanks.

You could try AARP/United Healthcare.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me@Spurt, and everyone else.  No company is allowed legally to keep calling you if you tell them not to call you anymore.  That is why I told them if they don't stop, I am coming after them for harassment.  No one should have to go through this. 

Got no calls since.  Being nice to these numb nuts won't help.

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@cotton4me@Spurt, and everyone else.  No company is allowed legally to keep calling you if you tell them not to call you anymore.  That is why I told them if they don't stop, I am coming after them for harassment.  No one should have to go through this. 

Got no calls since.  Being nice to these numb nuts won't help.

@BalletBabe  

I used to do that, in addition to being on the Do Not Call registry.  However, it only works with legitimate businesses.  Most of the calls these days are from scammers who spoof numbers, and many of those are coming from other countries.  They don’t care about being threatened or the law.  I’ve read some nightmare stories online where people who’ve tried to harass the scammers end up being bombarded even worse. 

I never answer any calls, even if they look like they're coming from a legitimate business, because most of the time they're not.  The numbers are spoofed, trying to fool people into answering. 

From the FCC website:

What is spoofing and how does it work?

"Spoofing" occurs when a caller deliberately falsifies the information transmitted to your caller ID display to disguise their identity. Spoofing is often used as part of an attempt to trick someone into giving away valuable personal information so it can be used in fraudulent activity or sold illegally. U.S. law and FCC rules prohibit most types of spoofing.

Caller ID lets consumers avoid unwanted phone calls by displaying caller names and phone numbers, but the caller ID feature is sometimes manipulated by spoofers who masquerade as representatives of banks, creditors, insurance companies, or even the government.

Respected Contributor

Lately I’m getting calls from an area code in New York, a different number every time. They leave me a voice mail in an Asian language. Landline or cell. 

Another I often get sounds like a very young girl. It’s recorded.

I do not feel sorry at all for these people doing the calling. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cotton4me @BalletBabe

Well said COTTONBALL!!!  BALLETBABE you are right about legit U.S.businesses, I kept getting calls from State Farm wanting to sell me insurance, even though I told them I was happy with who I had, they kept calling, so I reported them to the Better Business Bureau and explained I was on both the Federal and National Do Not Call lists yet they kept calling despite my pleas to stop.  After my complaint I got a call from a District Manager who said he talked to his agents and assured me there would be no more calls. Same with Capital One...they stopped calling.

But as COTTONBALL said, only legit U.S. based businesses will stop. ..And as I told these 2 companies, if a company cannot honor a DO NOT CALL LIST why would I even consider doing business with them!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@cotton4me @BalletBabe

Well said COTTONBALL!!!  BALLETBABE you are right about legit U.S.businesses, I kept getting calls from State Farm wanting to sell me insurance, even though I told them I was happy with who I had, they kept calling, so I reported them to the Better Business Bureau and explained I was on both the Federal and National Do Not Call lists yet they kept calling despite my pleas to stop.  After my complaint I got a call from a District Manager who said he talked to his agents and assured me there would be no more calls. Same with Capital One...they stopped calling.

But as COTTONBALL said, only legit U.S. based businesses will stop. ..And as I told these 2 companies, if a company cannot honor a DO NOT CALL LIST why would I even consider doing business with them!

@Spurt@cotton4me  .  Yes agree with all you said.  I was referring specifally to the heath insurance company.  They will drive you nuts if you let them.  I hardly get an y calls on my cell.  I was also told that if you call them and it is an 800 number , they are allowed to call you.   Make sure tell the numb nuts to knock it off.   I have an alarm I carry on myself.  It is very loud. I thought about ansering and let them have a broken ear drum.  LOL   I also heard on the news here in Florida, the are getting so many complaints that they are trying to figure out how to stop these calls.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt

Just wanted to follow up to let you know I did get an acknowledgement from AARP website that I had filled out the form and that it would take up to 12 weeks to fully take force.

Hopefully, that will at least stop the HUGE packets of info I get from them -- if it stops anything else, that will be a bonus.

American Express also sends out huge envelopes full of stuff that I shred.  

Mostly, it's the calls that annoy me.  

Just as an update to all who posted suggestions for making them stop.  Thanks but.....

I've done all those things.  

They still call -- but I don't answer.Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

When it comes to the telephone calls, if it's not showing my in-laws name, my brother-in-laws name or my daughters name, I dont answer it.  It can either be blocked by nomorobo or go to voice mail.  I don't care if it shows a local number or not.

As far as junk mail - I don't know who is winning the race but AARP,  Capitol One and AAA are really close.  Apparently the opt out of pre-approved credit cards doesn't apply to Capitol One. I've started sending the krap back to all them if there is a pre-paid envelope included in with the junk.  

We have credit freezes in place, so I don't care what CO does with it.

Any other consistent junk we get, I mark it return to sender.

I get tired of having to shred it all.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@cotton4me @BalletBabe

@Spurt@cotton4me  .  Yes agree with all you said.  I was referring specifally to the heath insurance company.  They will drive you nuts if you let them.  I hardly get an y calls on my cell.  I was also told that if you call them and it is an 800 number , they are allowed to call you.   Make sure tell the numb nuts to knock it off.   I have an alarm I carry on myself.  It is very loud. I thought about ansering and let them have a broken ear drum.  LOL   I also heard on the news here in Florida, the are getting so many complaints that they are trying to figure out how to stop these calls.

@BalletBabe

I even filled out a special FTC OPT OUT form which was supposed to stop phone calls and mail from credit cards and all types of insurance....of course that hasn't worked either!!!!  Isn't it sad how all this has gotten to this point! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@cotton4me @BalletBabe

@BalletBabe

I even filled out a special FTC OPT OUT form which was supposed to stop phone calls and mail from credit cards and all types of insurance....of course that hasn't worked either!!!!  Isn't it sad how all this has gotten to this point! 

@Spurt   and everyone else on this thread.  I just heard on the news the complaints are pouring in about these calls and the Government is trying to find a solution.   This was on a Florida news station and I don't know if all states are doing this.   It is pathetic how our privacy is being invaded.