Esteemed Contributor

Unwanted/Spam calls - Increasing

[ Edited ]

I have call block on my phone and use it.

And, I don't answer numbers I don't recognize.

But, the number of unwanted calls has greatly increased lately.  Even blocked numbers call 6 - 8 times a day.  Over and over from early morning until evening.

I check daily to see what numbers are coming in.  It never ends.  You would think if they call 6 times and no answer, they would stop calling.  They don't.

Every day, new numbers appear -- some with names, some with locations -- many with local exchanges.  I never answer and block them.

They continue to call.  Just relentless.

My phone will accept 250 blocks and I've already erased all of them and started over again. 

Amazing that it seems to be all different numbers.

I will not get rid of my land line -- and even my cell phone gets unwanted calls, but not many.

Just crazy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Unwanted/Spam calls - Increasing

We dumped our land lines a couple of years ago and have never regretted it.  I have noticed that we are getting more spam and robo calls on our mobile phones.  I re-registered our phones with the national do not call.  Many of the robo calls we are getting on our mobiles are from our area code and the the same three digit prefix.  I just block the heck out of them.  Annoying as all get out.

Honored Contributor

I had to get a new Digitone call blocker that blocks more numbers than my previous one, which I had to empty a couple of times.

I'll be turning 65 soon and most of this increase in calls are for extended care policies, Medicare, medical devices, etc.

I assumed it was due to my birthdate, which unfortunately is public information.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman

Since you have a landline, turn your ringer off.  It's not really needed if you have an answering machine.

I have FIOS cable.  If I am watching tv & my phone rings (my ringer stays off), the name & number of the caller flashes in the leftt corner of my tv screen.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I was going to order the TSV when they had the call blocker. But it seems now the spammers keep changing the phone # and citty. Why bother - I could never keep up.

I seem to be getting less and less. I get about 3-4 a day. I used to get at least 10. I am so used to ignoring them. But they are getting sneaky. Yesterday, we got a call at 8:30AM from Phoeniz, AZ. It has not been the first time we got a spam call early in the morning. On occasion we get calls after 9:00PM. 

But our motto is - if they really want to talk to us, they will leave a message.

PS - The FCC charged a guy in Miami with making 96 million spam calls.  Yesterday he was subpoenaed and tried and get his proposed $120 million dollar fine dropped or reduced.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom You're probably right. I turned 65 in Dec. & the health care calls started in Oct. I still have a landlind, & rarely give out my cell#. If I don't know the number calling on either, I do not answer. Also, sign up on the do not call register www.donotcall.gov. It won't stop them all, but it does help. You can register landline +cell phones.

Frequent Contributor

Check with your phone carrier to see if they support nomorobo.  Spectrum here does and it gets rid of ALL spammers.  The phone rings once and that's it....love it....

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman   I am seeing a sharp increase in the spam calls as well. I actually received one at 0430 am, like to have scared me to death as usually calls at that time are not good news since my husband and i no longer work, it is not like someone is calling us in to work on a day off. It really is a shame we have to fight tooth and nail for our privacy.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it’s awful...and they love to call at dinner time. Now they’re using local numbers but if I don’t see a name or recognize a number, I don’t answer. My husband has mild Alzheimer’s and whenever he sees a missed call on his cell phone he asks me if he should call them back...NO! These calls are like an invasion of locusts.

Honored Contributor

The Trip Advisor one is particularly annoying, I'm thinking about options for blocking because the Do Not Call listing is worthless.