Honored Contributor

Some of you may know that my oldest daughter and I have been estranged for many years.  Last year I sent her several emails that opened the door toward reconciliation, but nothing ever happened.

Yesterday late afternoon I received an email from her that she would be stopping by later to take the daughter I live with out for her birthday, and would I like to see her.  I said "of course."

They wound up having dinner here instead, and although I did not eat (way too late for me), we did sit together for three hours in the dining room.  We exchanged polite conversation . . . nothing from the past brought up by anyone.  It was very laid back and pleasant.  No drama at all, including hugging and kissing . . . nothing like that.  It was like a friend visiting.

I can't say it will lead to anything like a true reconciliation, but it was a first step, initiated by her.  Since I will be 80 next week, perhaps she thought it was time, or maybe it was just happenstance.  I don't know. 

At 10:30 PM I excused myself, as I can't remember the last time I was up and out of bed that late.  I told her it was good to see her again, and she responded in kind.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

It’s really nice to hear this, @LilacTree. Sounds like a great step forward. Cheers!

Honored Contributor

One wonderful step in the right direction.   Wishing you and your daughters the very best. Heart.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It's at least better that it's been, there may be cause for hope

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree, so nice to hear that she did reach out and that you had a pleasant evening.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree...music to my ears!!! Words cannot express how happy I am for you. This is a giant step ...an opening for you to get to know one another again.Heart

Honored Contributor

A step in the right direction🙂

Honored Contributor

This is good news. You sound healthy no expectations. Having been there with my Father 12 yrs ago wounds healed. Both of us learned valuable lesson. Fast forward to present day Dad 94 healthy but alas clock is ticking quickly. Makes me thankful we are right. Praying for you and your family. May God bless you all. Sincerely.⚘

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree...music to my ears!!! Words cannot express how happy I am for you. This is a giant step ...an opening for you to get to know one another again.Heart

@Trinity11

Yes, I hope so.  I really think it just sorta "happened."  Sometimes things go better when unplanned.  I think we both knew that this had to be drama-free, and it was. 

I called both of my other daughters this morning and they were surprised, but seemed fine with it.  Fingers crossed.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  are you feeling better?