Respected Contributor

What is the official website for the United States Postal Service? Last summer I was forwarding my mail. I went to USPS.com by mistake and had my mail forwarded. They charged over $80, so I knew something was wrong. I got all that cancelled and resolved which is a whole other story. The company headquarters had a Utah address. when I went to USPS.gov to check with the correct site about forwarding my mail it had the nominal amount of less than $2.00 to forward my mail, so it confirmed I had been on what I thought was a scam site. I googled the issue and many other people had reported the same overcharge.

Today I received a notice that my PO Box was up for renewal from usps.com, so I went onto usps.gov to avoid another scam and it defaulted to usps.com. I tried to get to the .gov site several times but it kept defaulting. Would someone tell me the current website for the post office? Has my computer been compromised to default to a scam site?

Honored Contributor

I've always used USPS dot com.

Respected Contributor

Thank you. I was so upset that day, but I am certain I went to a .gov site to check on the overcharge. Maybe not.  I have no idea what I did wrong. My husband said they will put a bill in our box, and he will pay that way.

Frequent Contributor

Re: USPS Official Website

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you went through all of that. I use usps dot com for pickups and ordering stamps, etc. I have never had any issues. When I just now went and typed in usps dot gov it took me back to usps dot com. Here is a contact us/customer care service number: 1-800-ASK-USPS® (1-800-275-8777). Email: : USPS® Customer Service

Esteemed Contributor

From what I understand you should be on dot.com and not dot.gov.  If you go to do ordinary consumer transactions you should be on dot.com.  dot.gov is for people who work there and other things that have nothing to do with the general public.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I just checked my favorites and the link I have for them is also usps dot com. 

I'd definitely run some scans - a/v and anti-malware.    Malwarebytes is a good one for anti-malware.  I use the paid version on my laptops, but the free version would be a good choice too.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@NewNickname1x1000 Thank you for checking the website for me. I got on some scam site, someway, somehow that day. I did google forwarding mail again a minute ago like I did that day. Another person had posted she was charged $40 to forward hers. There is something lurking out there. Being old and using the internet for business transactions is full of pitfalls. That day I fell into one.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@NewNickname1x1000 Thank you for checking the website for me. I got on some scam site, someway, somehow that day. I did google forwarding mail again a minute ago like I did that day. Another person had posted she was charged $40 to forward hers. There is something lurking out there. Being old and using the internet for business transactions is full of pitfalls. That day I fell into one.

@On It 

I googled "Official USPS website Change of Address" and got several different sites that are not USPS.  Perhaps you used one of those by mistake.

Honored Contributor

This is what I use to get a USPS employee to pick up my QVC returns.  It works. 

https://www.usps.com/ 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@On It  our PO Box renews every 11/30 and this year our rental doubled!!!

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix