Trusted Contributor

How many of the girls reported the abuse?  I know the first one or two always get thrown under the bus, having been thrown under the bus myself several times. 

Respected Contributor

According to newscasts and one of the girls, it was reported by some as early as 1997.  Nothing was done. 

He gained these girls trust and confidence, like a predator always does, being their "friend".  He told them his was a "technique" he used to benefit their muscular pelvic area and hips to better their gymnastic abilities and aches and pains.

Hard to believe this went on for so many years.  Sick.  Everyone involved should pay for this.

Honored Contributor

Just as much to blame or more as Nassar are all those the gymnasts TOLD, who chose to do nothing and are now trying to lie and say that no one ever said a word, and/but they are all pure as the driven snow.

And there will be A Special Place for those PARENTS who refused to believe, for whatever reason, what their daughters told them. Someone said that a father who was told and blew it off and did nothing later killed himself; good - it will be the only validation the daughter ever has. And no one will ever truly know, at that - was he genuinely sorry that his child was molested, or was he just that embarrassed and ashamed by others. 

I suffered some abuse (small potatoes as those things go) but never said a word because I believed at the time that my mother would not have believed me, or cared, vs my step-father. Many decades later I brought it up, and she admitted to me that she wouldn’t have believed it. The rest of the life I would have lived at home, until I could move out, would have been hell because in my mother’s eyes I would have “ruined it all.” I’m sure there are Sports Parents who feel the same.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Just an after-thought regarding sports, in general.  Sometimes moms should be on the 'look-out'.  If the daughter is spending way too much time with 'the coach', way too much practice, never home until late at night.  Something could be wrong.  Best to ask as many questions as possible, perhaps meet the coach, and the team mates.  Ask them how much practice that they are doing, etc., etc.  Request a schedule of practice times, etc. 'Take a peek' at practice sessions. We have to be detectives.  Or, at least, hire one, if necessary.   Better to be safe than sorry.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).