Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

Six months from now he won't need his flashlight to deliver at this hour. Meanwhile, would people rather have their delivery postponed an extra day, just because it's dark?

Personally yes I'd rather have it the next day, morning or afternoon. Too often packages have sat out there all night because I don't always open my door and look outside before I hit the sack to see if any deliveries were made without me knowing it. Last night if I hadn't pulled back the curtain and looked out the window to see if the rain had started yet and saw the truck and him walking up the driveway it probably would have sat out there in the rain all night because God forbid he should ring the doorbell. 

UPS doesn't do that anymore.  If something is scheduled to be delivered on a certain day, that means it is on the truck and the driver has to deliver it.  8pm isn't late at all and if you go to the UPS website, you can track how far out the guy is.  Also, if you sign up for My UPS, you get text messages telling you when the package has been delivered.  The text comes minutes after the deliver the package, so if the driver left it, you can go out and retrieve it.  UPS is doing their part but we still have to do our part too.  If you know you are expecting a package on a specific date and you know UPS delivers late and you choose to go to bed without looking....well....that's your choice.  You own whatever happens if you don't go out and get your package.   However, if you want to avoid that.  Track your packages and have your deliveries go to one of the UPS Access Points.  They are local businesses in our own neighborhoods.  They will hold them for up to a week, pick them up at your convenience.  

Thank you for the post.  Everything on the truck must be delivered the same day.  There are times however, when the driver gets so backuped management will send another driver who has completed his own route , to help out (info from my UPS driver son) There have also been times when my son has been  delivering till 10:00 in the evening,and not only at holiday time.  One good thing about the job is that all the running involved has kept him in great physical condition.  Also he is a people person and thoroughly enjoys all the contacts.

Honored Contributor
I don’t like pkgs sitting out all night...there are still porch pirates seizing the opportunity to take whatever they see the trucks drop off...camera don’t catch a lot of them...and even if they do, without a license number or a clear facial image most of them still go about their stealing unfazed.
Honored Contributor
I have had UPS pkgs delivered and retrieved them immediately, only to have my text notification sent several hours later. I think some drivers stop and take the time to send the texts all at the same time after making several deliveries or emptying their trucks. Most of my UPS orders were handed off to USPS after shipment so that was my biggest frustration. Our mail doesn’t get here until 8-9pm now that our regular guy retired. It is now an endless line of subs who are rookies. Our post office is a training location so we are at their mercy. Some days there is no mail delivered at all.
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

Six months from now he won't need his flashlight to deliver at this hour. Meanwhile, would people rather have their delivery postponed an extra day, just because it's dark?

Personally yes I'd rather have it the next day, morning or afternoon. Too often packages have sat out there all night because I don't always open my door and look outside before I hit the sack to see if any deliveries were made without me knowing it. Last night if I hadn't pulled back the curtain and looked out the window to see if the rain had started yet and saw the truck and him walking up the driveway it probably would have sat out there in the rain all night because God forbid he should ring the doorbell. 

UPS doesn't do that anymore.  If something is scheduled to be delivered on a certain day, that means it is on the truck and the driver has to deliver it.  8pm isn't late at all and if you go to the UPS website, you can track how far out the guy is.  Also, if you sign up for My UPS, you get text messages telling you when the package has been delivered.  The text comes minutes after the deliver the package, so if the driver left it, you can go out and retrieve it.  UPS is doing their part but we still have to do our part too.  If you know you are expecting a package on a specific date and you know UPS delivers late and you choose to go to bed without looking....well....that's your choice.  You own whatever happens if you don't go out and get your package.   However, if you want to avoid that.  Track your packages and have your deliveries go to one of the UPS Access Points.  They are local businesses in our own neighborhoods.  They will hold them for up to a week, pick them up at your convenience.  

Or if they have a late evening delivery for me they could just place the package at my doorstep and ring the doorbell.