Honored Contributor

Re: U.S. Census Bureau Survey

How would they even know peoples' email addresses?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt 

That's exactly what I'd like to know and  exactly why I'd ignore that email and delete faster than a New York minute !!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

@shaggygirl 

It may have been similar but it was directly related to Covid.  The city was trying to identify people who were alone and needed help.  This was at the very beginning.

@DiAnne 

The one you got from the city does sound like they were trying to identify those with needs. But the one sunshine45 referred to wanted to measure temporal social (whatever that means) and economic trends. That I would toss.

And the one I referred to for my physical I'm sure is to be aware of whether I'm showing any signs of alzheimers or dementia or senility or something else related to my old ladyness.  It even asks if I have throw rugs in my home and bars in the tub, the kind to grip to help get yourself out. When I told the doctor NO to the latter two he advised me to get rid of the throw rugs and have the bar installed in the tub. Cause old ladies slip and fall a lot I guess.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@chickenbutt 

That's exactly what I'd like to know and  exactly why I'd ignore that email and delete faster than a New York minute !!

Yes. that was my exact thought. 

I did the census 2020 online, but I don't recall if they asked for an email address.   I will say that if they did I would have either left it blank, if possible, or made one up that couldn't possibly end up actually belonging to anybody if they didn't allow the field to remain empty.   Same for ph#.

Honored Contributor

I don't think that we received this other survey, but neither my husband nor I would have any problem filling it out. We're not "Big Brother" worriers, as long as we know and accept the origin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't think that we received this other survey, but neither my husband nor I would have any problem filling it out. We're not "Big Brother" worriers, as long as we know and accept the origin.

This is how we tend to look at these surveys, too.

We fill them out and send them back.

We've done the Community surveys--the long ones that the Census sends out.

So far, we haven't received this newest one yet. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i did the census online, but i dont remember if i had to give them an email or not? they definitely had my landline phone number because they called for a clarification to one of the questions. they had left two messages and then finally caught up with me.

i would have no issues filling out any other community surveys.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've never received a census survey, but if I did I would delete it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I’m pretty sure the big main census asked for email address if you did it online but I don’t think it was required. So that’s where they got the info.
Esteemed Contributor

The Census Bureau obtains email addresses primarily from two sources:

From the states, which have large email lists used in conjunction with various benefits and services

And, as with most marketers, they purchase commercial lists of emails