Honored Contributor

Re: Turn up heat or bundle up

[ Edited ]

I do a little of everything and change it up throughout the day. 

One FYI I want to share that a local heating and A/C guy posted today...our furnaces aren’t made to withstand the kind of temps we’re getting tonight and tomorrow in the Midwest. If you have a programmable thermostat that lowers your heat in the evening and bumps it up again in the morning, your furnace may not be able to achieve that in the morning with the severe overnight lows that are expected.  Rather than use the program, set your thermostat tonight for your daytime temp, maybe even a few degrees warmer.  Don’t worry if your furnace runs continuously tomorrow to maintain the house temp and keep you warm.  

Also, don’t forget that pipes can freeze.  Open your faucets on each level of your home, both the hot and cold.  Allow water to trickle to prevent freezing.  Your can also open your kitchen sink cabinet and vanities to allow your home heat to help warm your pipes.   

By ALL means, DO NOT turn your oven on and leave the door open as a way to heat your home.  

Super Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

To some extent, I do both. I add layers, but if I'm still cold, I turn up the heat in small increments until it's comfortable... I keep the bedroom cool, though, I prefer a cool room for sleeping and don't like any of the rooms to feel overheated... Still, I don't want to be cold inside my home...

I went once to an acquaintances home for dinner. Huge Mansion, high vaulted ceilings and lots of windows. Beautiful but freezing cold. I left after an hour, I was blue with cold. They were all jacketed up and pretended they liked it cold. I would never want to live like that.

Esteemed Contributor

I definitely do both.I seem to always be cold no matter what I do.The older I get the more I hate Winter!! 

Regular Contributor

I bundle up if it gets too cold in the house. I really dont like the heat being up too high. gives me a headache when it is too hot and feel like of sick to my stomach too when it is too hot.  putting a blanket in the dryer is a great idea!

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Honored Contributor

Had to cover my face this morning on the way to work. Bitter, stinging kind of cold.  I was warm enough but for my face.  My mouth felt frozen and I couldn't speak very well when I got in to my office.

Valued Contributor

@HouseMouse wrote:

I bundle up if it gets too cold in the house. I really dont like the heat being up too high. gives me a headache when it is too hot and feel like of sick to my stomach too when it is too hot.  putting a blanket in the dryer is a great idea!

When it’s really cold but I still need to take a shower, I warm the bath towels up in the dryer.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Our thermostat is the highest it's ever been. 

Layering doesn't keep your face, hands and head warm.  When we shower we don't have to freeze. 

We're expecting a big utility bill but so be it.  

Trusted Contributor

In the evening while watching TV, I'm under the heated throw so that helps me keep the heat down. That thing is wonderful and the best thing I have to stay warm.