Esteemed Contributor

Re: Turn signals are not rocket science!

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yesterday I got behind someone doing 10mph in a 25mph zone. I couldn't pass as it was a residential area. For almost a mile we puttered along with an ever growing  line of cars behind me. Suddenly they stopped completely in the middle of the street, put on their left blinker and made the slowest turn I've ever seen. Put the darn thing on before you actually start turning. I think it's 100 ft. before turning to indicate your intention.

Today I was at a stop sign and wanted to make a right hand turn. A car was approaching with his right blinker on indicating he was turning where I was waiting to enter the highway. Thank heaven I didn't turn thinking he was turning on the road I was pulling out of, he went right on by me. I followed him down the highway and a 1/4 of a mile later he finally  turned.............left.  His right turn signal still going

Going on the road is an adventure for sure.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yesterday I got behind someone doing 10mph in a 25mph zone. I couldn't pass as it was a residential area. For almost a mile we puttered along with an ever growing  line of cars behind me. Suddenly they stopped completely in the middle of the street, put on their left blinker and made the slowest turn I've ever seen. Put the darn thing on before you actually start turning. I think it's 100 ft. before turning to indicate your intention.

Today I was at a stop sign and wanted to make a right hand turn. A car was approaching with his right blinker on indicating he was turning where I was waiting to enter the highway. Thank heaven I didn't turn thinking he was turning on the road I was pulling out of, he went right on by me. I followed him down the highway and a 1/4 of a mile later he finally  turned.............left.  His right turn signal still going

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Is that a rule? or a law? or in the book somewhere?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:
@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Is that a rule? or a law? or in the book somewhere?

It's a law in CA and likely to be a law in most states, if not all.  I don't know which state Retired Legal Sec is in.  

You should be easily able to find it online as to your own state.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I feel your pain and don't get me started...

And then there are those that turn a corner and cannot seem to do it properly...I was taught to go to the center of the intersection and turn, not make a sweeping turn and nearly hit the car waiting in the other lane where you are turning...then there are those talking on their phone.......

Esteemed Contributor

It makes me crazy when someone drives for blocks and blocks with their turn signal on. Hubby always comments that they're going to run out of blinker fluid! LOL. And the folks who turn their blinker on as they're making a turn are the worst! Not rocket science is right!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What gets me is when I am behind a cop, and he doesn't use his turn signal when he's going to turn!

Are you freakin' kidding me with this stuff?!

They are supposed to follow the law just like the rest of us peons.

If they saw that I didn't use my turn signal to indicate that I was going to make a turn, you bet your sweet bippy that they would pull me over and give a ticket for that.

But somehow it's okay when they don't use their turn signal?

I don't freakin' think so!

He probably did surveillance/undercover work.  My husband rarely uses a turn signal also, I remind him all the time.

I don't buy that excuse for a second, because the police car is extremely easy to identify, so if he was using that vehice to do "surveillance/undercover work", then he stuck out like a sore thumb.

I mean, if *I* can identify them.....

This is what our cop cars look ike btw.

No, there is NO excuse for them not following the same exact traffic laws that the rest of us have to follow when they are not in an emergency (lights & siren) situation.

None.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I can’t stand when someone drives with their blinker on the whole time! Does’t the clicking sound drive them nuts?

In most newer cars the blinker does not make any noise.  I think getting rid of the clicking sound was a big mistake.  

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda   I got it from a PA State Assembly website.  Under 35 mph it's 100 ft of continuous signaling before turning.  We were doing 10mph.  Over 35 mph it's 300 ft of continuous signaling.

Trusted Contributor

If you have not experienced it yet, I cordially invite all of you to share a morning and evening commute with me in the greater Boston area.  This is where you will come to know the true meaning of the word "frustration"!   🤯😬😰😡🤬

Respected Contributor

What about when you're stopped at a stop sign, waiting to make your turn, and the driver coming down the road makes his turn onto the street you're trying to pull out from and doesn't give you a signal?  You're just sitting waiting patiently for him to go by, and he turns - no signal - so rude.  As mentioned, you cannot always rely on someone actually turning just because their signal is on, but you can tell if they are slowing up and beginning to turn their wheels.  I'd say 50% of the drivers on the road do not know to use a turn signal.  Takes too much of their energy I guess. 

Another thing I notice here where I live is that when a light turns green, people go from 0 - 60 as fast as they possibly can.  Tailgating is big here.  Everyone thinks they are on a Nascar track. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Well @CrazyKittyLvr2  don't come to FL.  My pet peeve on 6 lane highway a driver decides oops I need to make RIGHT hand turn& just cuts thru all lanes from LEFT lane!

Blinkers what blinkers😉🤔

My 91 year old neighbor is so excited FL renewed his DL for 10 years...the guy has hit every mailbox or post of his neighbors backing out of his driveway & you can see him "touching up" his car bumper daily.... What are they thinking!!!