Trusted Contributor

Re: Turkey Dinner came to me!

I love seeing them, too,,,

I think that it has become too built-up around my area to see them, but once you get a bit farther out into some of the other communities you'll start to see them.

We were at a county fair once, walking through the poultry barn.

There were turkeys on display there, in large cages.

I leaned over to talk softly to a female turkey.

She started to respond. Heart

I remember that I had been wearing a cross-body purse with shiny silver gromets on the end where the strap was, and when I leaned over, she started to peck at the gromet! Smiley LOL

It was a cute moment, because I felt as though she was enjoying the shine coming off of my purse. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Once when walking my dogs I saw a couple on a tree branch.  Then one more flew up to join them and the whole branch broke off.  Such a fuss they made.

@Still Raining  I saw that once while hiking in the woods behind my apt.  I never knew til then that turkeys can fly.  They seem to fly from tree to tree.  Not in the sky.  One of my grands actually video taped it so his friends & classmates would believe him that turkeys actually fly. Smiley LOL

A group of them about 20 or so wake me up every morning like clockwork.  I live on the 17th floor.  Lawd, don't let it be mating season.  The males get pretty agressive in full puffy bloom which is actually pretty.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

It does seem odd seeing them fly up into trees, i often wonder if the coyotes kill and eat them, they do cats and dogs ,deer, but do not eat the ones i have seen,they are cruel to the deer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

It does seem odd seeing them fly up into trees, i often wonder if the coyotes kill and eat them,

@goldensrbest  No coyotes in my area but, a lot of foxes.  Maybe they eat wild turkeys causing them to fly up to the trees.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@kare29 wrote:

20201123_075300 (2).jpgI just happened to glance out the window and this is what I saw.

I haven't seen this large of a gaggle in several years.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

@kare29 

That is so cool! Woman LOL

Years ago we'd see peacocks walking down the street in Albuquerque.

Haven't seen any in some time and I really miss them. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

We see them all the time where I live; saw them today in fact.

I can't associate them with the grocery store kind all cleaned up in the bag.  It would break my heart.

Esteemed Contributor

They're rather brazen to be strolling around the neighborhood this close to Thanksgiving, aren't they?

Wild turkeys hang around our area all year long.  They will just sit in the middle of the road and not move, no matter how much you honk your horn or holler out the car window.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

My home backs up to green space.  This past spring, we had a mama turkey and her eleven babies.  She wanted to roost in one of the large trees in the greenway but the little ones couldn't make the flight.  So into my yard they came.  She flew up into my ash tree.  The little ones flew onto the low branches of my crabapple tree, and could then hop from branch to branch until they were at mama's level.  She held out her wings and everyone huddled underneath - except "Junior" who kept jumping on mama's head.  They roosted like that for three nights in a row.  It was sweet.

Honored Contributor

@kare29 

I hope you have enough cranberry sauce!Smiley Happy  Love your street!  Looks like great walking.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@kare29 Did you perhaps order curb side delivery?   Maybe there was a mix up in the order!