Super Contributor

Re: Turbo Tax halts all state filings due to fraud concerns

I have ever only mailed my Info to the IRS. I just do not trust online banking or such yet.
Super Contributor

On 2/7/2015 brii said:
On 2/7/2015 shesallthat said:
On 2/7/2015 brii said:
On 2/6/2015 shesallthat said:
On 2/6/2015 Love Roses said:

Wow, lots of folks use turbo tax. Look at how bad things have gotten.

we have used turbo tax for over 10 years with no problem - until this year! i posted a few days ago we were notified when we efiled our return that a return had already been filed with our son's SS#!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} and from reading the forums on the turbo tax website we were not the only one that it has happened to this year! so this was not a singular case of this happening at all. i am not worried about doing them online but i will never use turbo tax again!

Shesallthat, the same thing happened to us. This was 18 years ago though. We received a letter that somebody filed with our infant daughter's SS number already. We had to send them a copy of her birth certificate and maybe some other info. I don't know what the issue was because everything was fine after that. That was back in the days before we filed online.

It's pretty scary...

hi Brii!! Smile

yes it is very scary! when i efiled and got back that message that a return with his SS# had already been filed i thought it was a mistake but after waiting and trying to efile it again i had to deal with the fact it wasn't! i saw on the turbo tax forum ALOT of people have had this to happen this year and that is what they said they had to do to. we mailed the return and i tracked it to make sure it got where is was supposed to and it did. so now we are just waiting for them to contact us and tell us what to mail in to them.

i will be so happy when it is all done and behind us!!

They'll probably have to compare this Year's return with prior Year's and you might have to send them some additional info. Obviously he's your son and you've been using his social on your returns.

What a pain.

that is why we are not worried about it! our records will show he has been on our returns for 17 years! and whatever else they need as proof we will have to show them. this other person may be enjoying whatever money they lied to get right now but the IRS will be making sure they get their money back from them!

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 brii said:
On 2/7/2015 brii said:

we have used turbo tax for over 10 years with no problem - until this year! i posted a few days ago we were notified when we efiled our return that a return had already been filed with our son's SS#!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} and from reading the forums on the turbo tax website we were not the only one that it has happened to this year! so this was not a singular case of this happening at all. i am not worried about doing them online but i will never use turbo tax again!

Shesallthat, the same thing happened to us. This was 18 years ago though. We received a letter that somebody filed with our infant daughter's SS number already. We had to send them a copy of her birth certificate and maybe some other info. I don't know what the issue was because everything was fine after that. That was back in the days before we filed online.

It's pretty scary...

hi Brii!! Smile

yes it is very scary! when i efiled and got back that message that a return with his SS# had already been filed i thought it was a mistake but after waiting and trying to efile it again i had to deal with the fact it wasn't! i saw on the turbo tax forum ALOT of people have had this to happen this year and that is what they said they had to do to. we mailed the return and i tracked it to make sure it got where is was supposed to and it did. so now we are just waiting for them to contact us and tell us what to mail in to them.

They'll probably have to compare this Year's return with prior Year's and you might have to send them some additional info. Obviously he's your son and you've been using his social on your returns.

What a pain.

that is why we are not worried about it! our records will show he has been on our returns for 17 years! and whatever else they need as proof we will have to show them. this other person may be enjoying whatever money they lied to get right now but the IRS will be making sure they get their money back from them!

Well, the IRS will deal with the other person. It might be a simple mistake or it might have been fraud.

Hopefully it won't take too long to straighten out.

We had no prior returns with her social, so we had to send them supporting documents.

Trusted Contributor

Yikes! The hackers are getting the upper hand!

Super Contributor

On 2/7/2015 brii said:
On 2/7/2015 brii said:
On 2/7/2015 brii said:

It's pretty scary...

hi Brii!! Smile

What a pain.

Well, the IRS will deal with the other person. It might be a simple mistake or it might have been fraud.

We had no prior returns with her social, so we had to send them supporting documents.

i hope it was a mistake! i told my DH i feel like that woman on the commercial where she goes to the ATM and finds no money and then they show some guy on a computer draining all out of her account while giggling!! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} LOL it is just awful to feel like that!

well i hope you have a great day Brii!! it is sunny and will be 68 degrees so i am going to get ready to get out and so some shopping!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Turbo Tax has resumed filing state returns, BTW.

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 brii said:
On 2/7/2015 brii said:
On 2/7/2015 brii said:

It's pretty scary...

hi Brii!! Smile

What a pain.

i hope it was a mistake! i told my DH i feel like that woman on the commercial where she goes to the ATM and finds no money and then they show some guy on a computer draining all out of her account while giggling!! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} LOL it is just awful to feel like that!

well i hope you have a great day Brii!! it is sunny and will be 68 degrees so i am going to get ready to get out and so some shopping!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Yes, it's a very scary feeling.

I hope you have a great day shopping.

68 degrees - yikes. We're in the 30's. LOL The sun is shining, so that's good.

Smiley Happy)

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 Shorty2U said:

And this is why I still do our taxes on paper! Plus I love Math, so I love doing taxes!

Believe it or not, I add everything myself. Less mistakes. Sometimes the solar calculators aren't working properly; and, also, occasionally working in offices, folks do make mistakes showing off (calculating fast)! p.s. Ever notice that folks who 'show off' on calculators/computers end up re-doing it over and over again. Takes longer, in the long run.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).