Super Contributor

Turbo Tax halts all state filings due to fraud concerns

http://www.kcra.com/money/minnesota-to-stop-accepting-turbotax-filings-due-to-fraud/31132586?utm_sou...

I don't use Turbo Tax and I hope it doesn't happen to the service I use. What a headache!

Respected Contributor

Re: Turbo Tax halts all state filings due to fraud concerns

uh oh

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

It never ends...

Super Contributor

I just filed mine yesterday. But mine were federal. We don't have state income tax where I live.

Honored Contributor

Thankfully I use a CPA!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing taxes online. I've been using the same licensed, enrolled, and whatever else tax preparer for many years (maybe 30+ or so).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I use H&R Block's tax program and I trust it totally, and I have worked for them as well!

Super Contributor

If I understood the segment correctly Turbo Tax shut down for 24 hours to make sure their security hadn't been compromised or that they had been hacked. They hadn't. It was a singular case of identity theft of this one woman's identity having nothing to do with Turbo Tax's data being compromised. The thief filed a tax return on-line with Turbo Tax with the woman's personal info. It was filed from Georgia. The woman lives in Missouri.

Respected Contributor

On 2/6/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing taxes online. I've been using the same licensed, enrolled, and whatever else tax preparer for many years (maybe 30+ or so).

You may not be doing your taxes online but bet your preparer is. I used to prepare taxes - look at all those W-2s/1099s that come to you - they say right on the face of the document that the IRS has been furnished that info. When returns are e-filed, the IRS allows flexibility of your numbers being off slightly due to rounding up or down; however, if we transposed any numbers, the return would bounce back rejected because numbers did not match the info in their database. If you were to use a pen and write out your taxes and mail in, someone has to sit down and plug in the major numbers into a database to kick out a check OR electronically direct deposit money into your account so it's there whether you do it or not.

If you were to miss inputting documentation, most times those documents are on their databases under your name/SSN - that's how they know that you may have missed input of income and you can expect to get a CP Notice in the mail when they catch up to you (and when the database cross references, they usually do catch you) because all the data coming to you that needs to be on a return is in the IRS database as well.

If you get a pension, Medicare, SS, do taxes, the very same info is out there already in those organization's databases.

ETA: I understand your fear and I was probably one of the longest holdouts before I began doing mine online but the reality is whether I do them online or not, the info is in the IRS database either way.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, lots of folks use turbo tax. Look at how bad things have gotten.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust