Honored Contributor
Sorry. No Barstow for me. 😂
If I had to do hotter than where I already live in SoCal 😖 it would be Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert and work at Eisenhower. At least there is great shopping and restaurants and the medical center.
Trusted Contributor

I grew up and Army Brat so I've lived a lot of places.  Been living in Vegas, in the Mojave Desert, for nearly 50 years.  Tucson is a nice town, a bit hotter than Vegas but with lots to do if you're into an active lifestyle.

I love living in the desert, but it isn't for everyone.  Other posters have recommended renting a place for a few months in the summer.  I second that.  If July and August (and the usual monsoons) don't change your mind about moving, then it might be your thing!

Respected Contributor

Well, if you really hate heat you wouldn't like Tucson. Two words - air conditioning!

Yes, we have scorpions, but not a problem with regular pest control. Use common sense to avoid rattkesnakes.

But my favorite part of living here is the lack of natural disasters. I lived in earthquake country in California and on the East coast in the path of hurricanes and, believe me, I love not having to worry if my home will be destroyed!

Honored Contributor

@nova.  I, too, hope you're fortunate enough to come this way some time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I'm in Amarillo, Tx 

windy and dusty not all that pretty.  sun rise is pretty.

Arizona to me is way to hot and dry. Nothing green they got

rocks in their yards instead of grass. Depressing.

How wrong you are.

The desert is very green right now after all the winter rain. Flowers are blooming and the wildflower show in the spring is stunning.

People don't put in grass because of the thousands of gallons of water it takes to keep them up. Natural desert yards are quite beautiful with an assortment of cacti and other desert friendly plants.

The desert has a stark beauty like no other. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest you do before making wrong judgents like this poster did.

Not into deserts, but, thank you

sharke  -  Arizona is so much more than desert! We have snow capped mountains, beautiful forests, clear blue lakes, fruit orchards and tons of cultivted farm land. It really is a diverse state!

Trusted Contributor

@pinkcrystal wrote:

I really want to move somewhere south.  Does anyone recommend retiring in Tucson?  If not, why not?  Any advice would help, thank you! 

pinkcrystal...I live about 80 miles southeast of Tucson, in a small city called Sierra Vista (approx 45K people). We are at 4600 feet elevation and we are always 10-15 degrees cooler than Tucson. Tucson is "cooler" than Phoenix.

I love Arizona - was born here and came back to in retirement. If I was a LOT younger I *might* consider Las Cruces NM. It is a pretty little city with lots of diversity and cooler weather.

Respected Contributor

I lived in Scottsdale then moved to Co. came back 10yrs later, wow Scottsdale is mini NY with traffic & expensive we live in Glendale, Az. more family & cheaper. Please do research don't know if you are the age of 55 + I am not a fan of Tuscan too close to the boarder they have many problems. It takes a yr til you understand the heat, I love Az. Go on line check if you are of age see Sun City. Even in Glendale single new family homes (think they are built cheap) starts at $500,000, what??? insane. we are now getting ready for a huge golf tournament (every yr.) then next is spring training which tourist is coming in but keeps our taxes lower but we know this & hope they spend & keep helping out our restaurants & other things make money. Summer is just locals. So now we deal with traffic with all this happening now it happens every year locals know this. So happy before DH retired he got to move back here. I love Az. beautiful area. It's not for everyone but you been here & know just research. 

Honored Contributor

Born in Arizona, do love it and the desert.  Have lived in Canada, Louisiana, the Midwest, the Northeastern U.S.  Every place has its advantages.

Returned to Arizona for college, and lived in Prescott.  Just ask me or @just bee about that beautiful town!  It has four seasons, gorgeous dells and pines, and loads of Western charm.

I like Tucson too.  My aunt and uncle lived there and we adored heading down in the winter.  Fun, lots to do, and that magnificent desert and mountains.  If you think you could take the heat in summer, a lovely spot.

As for retiring in any particular place, the posters who have done so are a valuable resource as to whether the recreation, current cost of living, medical facilities, shopping and other important factors are what you might be looking for.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I'm in Amarillo, Tx 

windy and dusty not all that pretty.  sun rise is pretty.

Arizona to me is way to hot and dry. Nothing green they got

rocks in their yards instead of grass. Depressing.

How wrong you are.

The desert is very green right now after all the winter rain. Flowers are blooming and the wildflower show in the spring is stunning.

People don't put in grass because of the thousands of gallons of water it takes to keep them up. Natural desert yards are quite beautiful with an assortment of cacti and other desert friendly plants.

The desert has a stark beauty like no other. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest you do before making wrong judgents like this poster did.

I agree. I also live in Arizona and yes it's hot. You stay indoors. Every place is air conditioned. You learn to do things in the morning or evening.  We don't put in grass because no one in their right mind wants to go out when it's 110 degrees and cut it. Plus all the water it takes. There are many drought tolerant plants and trees that look just as nice as those requiring water every day. Tucson is nice. Sometimes a bit cooler than Phoenix. Less traffic than Phoenix also. Ok, most people who live back East love summer and hate winter. We are the opposite. The weather is great now. No snow (though Tucson has been know to get a dusting from time to time). I forgot. LOW HUMIDITY. We gripe when it hits 40% after a monsoon storm. Still nothing compared to places like Florida etc. it only lasts for a while. You can get rid of all your heavy winter clothes. You will only need a light jacket and some long sleeved tee shirts for those times when it gets chilly. We celebrate when the temperatures get in the 70'. You'll see people in sweatshirts and boots. We get excited for cold weather. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I lived in Scottsdale then moved to Co. came back 10yrs later, wow Scottsdale is mini NY with traffic & expensive we live in Glendale, Az. more family & cheaper. Please do research don't know if you are the age of 55 + I am not a fan of Tuscan too close to the boarder they have many problems. It takes a yr til you understand the heat, I love Az. Go on line check if you are of age see Sun City. Even in Glendale single new family homes (think they are built cheap) starts at $500,000, what??? insane. we are now getting ready for a huge golf tournament (every yr.) then next is spring training which tourist is coming in but keeps our taxes lower but we know this & hope they spend & keep helping out our restaurants & other things make money. Summer is just locals. So now we deal with traffic with all this happening now it happens every year locals know this. So happy before DH retired he got to move back here. I love Az. beautiful area. It's not for everyone but you been here & know just research. 

Hi neighbor! I live in Peoria. Don't forget, in another couple of years the Super Bowl will be back so we have the trifecta. Super Bowl, Barret Jackson Car Auction, Waste Management Gold Tournament. All in a two week timeframe.